Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the working moms board too. I really need help!

I know, I know, I can hear it already, scheduling is bad bad bad. I KNOW that. I bf dd on demand all day long, usually every hour or so. Well, I HAVE to start back to work in a week and a half. I have tried deperately for her to take a bottle, with no success. I have tried a million different ones it seems like. Well, I am pretty sure my boss will let me feed her on my planning period and my lunch break (I'm a teacher). Which means I will drop her off at daycare at about 7:30, then I can come feed her at 9:30 and again at 12:00. Then I will pick her up at 3:30 to come home.

If she won't take a bottle, she is going to have to learn to eat at those two times, and fill up, not just nurse for a few minutes. Please, any suggestions? I am panicking and stressing so much I can't stand it! I wish I didn't have to work, but that isn't an option. Neither is having her brought up to me every hour. Those are the only two times I have.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
How old is she? It sounds like your plan could work, though it may take a few days of adjustment.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Sounds viable, as long as you're prepared to forego sleep- she may choose to reverse feeding patterns durig the day and eat all night. Concentrate on getting her to empty one breast, unless you have supply issues of any kind, and consider a pacifier so she can suckle in arms for naps.
How old is she?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Has someone else tried giving her a bottle when you aren't around? She may not be taking a bottle if its you who is giving it to her, but she might take it from another person when you aren't around.

How old is your dd? 7:30 to 9:30 is only 2 hours so she could probably go without a bottle then. And maybe from 9:30 to 12. The 12 to 3:30 is the longest stretch. When does she nap?

Is she old enough to have a sippy cup instead of a bottle?

I bet she will be so glad to see you when you go to nurse her and to get her at the end of the day that she will be happy to have a big nursing session to reconnect with you. She probably would fill up just because of that!

Good luck! I don't work outside the home, but I hope what I wrote will help anyway.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She actually takes a bottle better from me than from anyone else, about an oz. When away from me, she is stressed because I am not there and is difficult to do anything with. She's pretty attached to me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess what I am wondering is how to adjust her to those times now, in advance. It tears me up thinking of her screaming all day, since she is so used to eating so often. I am hoping that if I take bottles, and come feed her too, they will be able to hold her off and maybe eventually take just the bottle through the day. Not sure when I am going to pump for her though!

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
They can always cup feed her instead of bottle feeding. I watched a little girl that I had to cup feed for 3 months until she would accept the bottle most of the time.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Cup feeding is a good option. My DD never took a bottle either (I was able to arrange to work from home though, but I did try the bottle for a while) but cup feeding was easier. I don't think I tried at 3 months, but at 5 months she could get at least an ounce or two.

If she can take an ounce from a cup or bottle I feel she can definitely wait the 3.5 hours max between breastfeeding with a minimum of adjustment. While I did say I work at home sometimes I have to go to the office for a few hours, and my DH would cup feed her one ounce (only 1 because I never managed to find the time to pump more, not because she wouldn't eat more) and while she always wanted to nurse right away when I returned, she would nap and play and not be upset while I was gone.

So, feel reassured

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
I think that she will figure it out. I don't think you need to try to schedule her feedings now so that she will be prepared then, you know? I would, however, make sure that expressed milk is available to her for her caregiver to try to use. I went back when dd was 10 weeks old and she was NOT a fan of the bottle, but the first day I was gone she figured it out, and without a huge amount of stress and crying.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Yeah, I think the LEAST stressful way to do it is to NOT schedule ahead of time, and just have the DCP offer milk through a cup between feedings when the time comes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.