Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to figure out the best way to word this. DH and I have very little time "alone". We co sleep with ds3 so our "alone" time is very limited these days.
We find it hard to take advantage of spontaneity because we are so very tired. Does anyone "schedule" alone/intimate/just talking time with their dp? I mean actually put it on the calender?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Not yet, but I've seriously considered it.

This of course doesn't count date nights, which are scheduled, at a rate of approximately one evening a month. Have to, in order to get a sitter.

It's a bonus if the sitter actually gets dd to sleep before we get home, because then, well....

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I did!
DH was always ready anytime anyplace, but with juggling 3 little kids under 2/3, he didn't want to burden me by demanding stuff. I let it totally slip off my radar, until it dawned on me why I was so crabby and not feeling as connected to him as I should (since he's always shouldered his rightful half of parenting, ect, so it wasn't that).

Before I married DH, many of my adult relationships had been poly, so the idea of scheduling time with lovers was not foreign to me. Even with just one, it's been fun. I put a horny happy face on the calendar (as a side benefit, this gave DH a great incentive to LOOK at the calendar!
) when I wanted to make sure we made some time. And he got into it too, emailing me sexy emails asking about when I thought a good time would be. ;>

I know that supposedly that's not romantic and we're supposed to be psychicly entwined and all, but that worked for us.

Until the kids were old enough that I felt comfortable getting a sitter, we did 'in house' date nights for 2 years. Yay for netflix and microwave popcorn (and an extra fluffy fuzzy king-sized blanket)!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
My inlaws, who have been married for thirty-plus years, always put a priority on time as a couple. My mother-in-law, though mostly a SAHM, would every day get up at 5am when her husband was getting ready for work to be with him.

I don't manage to do that.
We take it when we can. Sometimes Rob stays up to see me when I get home from work, or I'll wake him up. Sometimes we put the kids to bed early, or sometimes we just put the kids in the back room to play.

Date nights don't happen too often; the last was Presidents Day. I had the night off work because of the holiday, and he happened to have the day off as well. Since my cousin normally watches the babies on Mondays anyway, we took the opportunity (after clearing it with her!) to go out instead.

I think scheduling it is a great idea, but catch-as-catch-can works as well.

·
Registered
522 Posts
After nearly 13 years of marriage and 3 children, we have only *just* started to do this. I believe that our marriage has suffered due to our lack of time alone to nourish our relationship. A friend of mine from church and I have begun a childcare exchange. She has 4 children. We are trying to begin a schedule where each of gets one afternoon/evening per month. Maybe every other week, depending on how it goes. DH and I had our first afternoon out on Sunday. We didn't do anything spectacular. We drove out to look at a piece of land we are thinking about building a house on. Then we went to an outdoor gear shop and looked for some new shoes for me. Then we drove to Sonic and got chocolate malts and went to the local lake, where we walked a bit and sat by the shore. Then we visited with our friends when we picked the kids up. It was wonderful.

My advice to you would be to not wait as long as we did to have regular time alone together.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
We do a date night every other Friday. It also helps that we only have one child, he's 4 and goes to bed very early at night. So every single night we watch a movie or hang out together after DS has gone to bed. And then we can look forward to every other Friday having an adult night out with dinner and drinks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.