Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<div class="shazam wiki_markup" id="user_content_16940353">
<p>I posted this in student parents but have no responses...</p>
<p>I really need help editing an essay for a scholarship I am applying to. I had to move  and will be paying out of state tuition for nursing school this fall. However the school charges over 20K for out of state students! I am hoping to get several scholarships to cover my tuition and living expenses since even the maximum of regular 'financial aid' like loans and grants would not cover all the tuition! Plus I would have to pay daycare too. This particular scholarship pays all tuition and fees plus a living stipend which would almost cover my rent and daycare. I think only 10% of applicants end up winning the scholarship but many who apply are not qualified. I know I qualify but want to make sure I can win it!</p>
<p>The scholarship is based on being low income and needy  (double check)</p>
<p>having a high gpa (4.0 in prereqs and 3.8 overall)</p>
<p>two references (one awesome one so far and waiting on the other)</p>
<p>three essays (this is where I am struggling)</p>
<p>I am currently not a student so I can not go to the campus writing center or ask a professor for help editing my essays. I have asked my sister (who is too busy working part time!) and spammed facebook to see if anyone could help (few of my friends have finished college) So now I'm asking here for help.</p>
<p>If any of you wonderful gals would mind reviewing the scholarship website and my essays and giving me some feedback I would be really grateful!</p>
<p>Thanks</p>
</div>
<p> </p>

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
<p>If you send them to me, I'll take a crack at them.</p>

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>You two are awesome! The scholarship web site is <a href="http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/scholarships/Nursing/" target="_blank">http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/scholarships/Nursing/</a> I plan on working on them more tomorrow after court since I'm not sure how long I will be there and took the day off. Here are my really rough drafts:</p>
<p> </p>
<ol><li>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">How will you contribute to the mission of the Nursing Scholarship Program in providing care to underserved communities?</span></p>
</li>
</ol><p style="margin-bottom:0in;"> </p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I will continue the mission of the Nursing Scholarship Program by providing care to underserved communities by returning to the communities that I have been a part of in the past. As a homeless youth over a decade ago I found medical care a difficult dream to obtain. Only when in dire circumstances was a hospital an option. This lack of access to public health and community medical clinics is something I would like to help combat. Although I dream of working in a fast paced emergency department, I feel that type of environment should be the last resort instead of the only option for health care. Therefore I believe to best serve the mission of the Nursing Scholarship Program one must provide services at a drop in clinic in a disenfranchised location. Mobile outreach medical units would also provide access to health care to the transients who lack both transportation to clinics and a central location to place a clinic in. I hope to work at a youth drop in clinic in an urban area because this population often consists of underserved and vulnerable individuals.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">By addressing adolescents of vulnerable populations I hope to make an impact on decreasing infant mortality. I hope to work with pregnant adolescents who are ethnic minorities. Through education and information about medical care in native languages pregnant teenagers can make informed decisions regarding their own health care. Providing access to prenatal care and planning for pregnant women in low income communities for no or little cost will give the new members of the population a stronger start. One barrier to health care is the contrast between traditional folk medicine and the medicine of allopathic practitioners. Integration of traditional midwifery practices with proven allopatic medicine will make prenatal care more appealing to women of varied ethnic backgrounds. Rather than alienating women for adhering to their cultural beliefs it is my goal to assimilate those cultural beliefs into a unique care plan for each mother to be. One special focus for me will be to work with pregnant women who need to escape domestic violence. As a domestic abuse survivor I can relate to the challenges these women face and am empathetic towards any woman in the same situation. I would like to reach out to those who are pregnant and also have the wellbeing of their future child to consider.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"> </p>
<ol><li>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">What defines an underserved community? What experiences have you had that have prepared you to work with underserved populations?</span></p>
</li>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">Underserved populations have one common ground regardless of the characteristics of that population. Poverty can be found in any population that is in need of more medical facilities in their community. Whether the population is a rural township or an urban neighborhood of immigrants, the lack of money often results in the lack of medical care. In impoverished communities the ration of primary care providers such as nurse practitioners to community members is frighteningly low. Some people are fortunate enough to find the Medicaid programs run by departments of health in their areas. The majority of those on federal medical assistance have qualified due to their age. Those who do not due to language barriers or the downward spiral of poverty are truly underserved and underrepresented. Another aspect of underserved populations is the rate of infant mortality which is a reflection upon the health care available to the population as a whole.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">Although I was once a member of an underserved population, I have found that through hard work, perseverance and knowing when to ask for help I was able to break the cycle of poverty. Since starting on this path and becoming a CNA I have continued to interact with underserved populations. Prior to becoming a nursing assistant I had volunteered at an assisted living facility where the residents were all elderly. The majority of my experience with underserved populations however comes from working as a nursing assistant at a long term care facility where nearly all the residents who were younger than sixty-five were on Medicaid. While at the long term care facility I had experience caring for persons of various minorities and had to overcome language barriers while providing care. I developed skills of cultural awareness and nonverbal communication while working with Asian and Hispanic elders. As a certified nursing assistant I have worked with all three aspects of under served populations. I have given to these communities by volunteering at an assisted living facility. This volunteer experience consisted of socializing with the residents with a therapy dog that was trained and registered with a national organization. The emotional support that was provided by a companion animal was an amazing process which I would like to expand upon in the future. Another aspect of underserved populations includes those that face developmental delays and disabilities. Unless supported by a previous generation developmentally disabled adults are often in need of more health care than they can receive through Medicaid as I have seen through my time as a patient care assistant in home health care.</span></p>
<ol><li>
<p><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">Please discuss your commitment to pursue a career in nursing.</span></p>
</li>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I have been committed to pursuing a career in nursing since I was exposed to the integrative caring practices of a midwife prior to and during the birth of my daughter. Due to being in an inescapable domestic abuse relationship I was not able to attend the local community college associates degree program that I was previously accepted to. My commitment to nursing is reflected by my obtaining high grades in pre nursing course work and becoming certified as a nursing assistant. Throughout this time I had to pay for childcare while in school and working as a nursing assistant with student loans since my ex was adamant that I not follow my passions and remain at home.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I had started along this path from nothing but the inspiration of the midwives I dealt with during my pregnancy, to applying to a four year University while working as a nursing assistant. I made a commitment to myself to care about the mind, body, spiritual triad and what I can do to advocate for others during their time of need. Through volunteering at assisted living facilities and working as a certified nursing assistant at long term care facilities my commitment to comprehending caring theory has multiplied exponentially.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">Despite</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">my</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">high</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">grades</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">and</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">high</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">ambition</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">had</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">been</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">held</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">back</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">year</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">after</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">year</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">until</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">finally</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">broke</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">free</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">from</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">my</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">abusive</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">ex.</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">had</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">been</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">so</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">committed</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">to</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">caring</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">about</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">those</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">was</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">caring</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">for</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">at</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">work</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">that</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">failed</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">to</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">notice</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">the</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">care</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">needed</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">until</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">found</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">a</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">text</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">on</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">the</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">nursing</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">process</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">and</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">reflected</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">upon</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">my</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">own</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">life</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">as</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">read</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">it.</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">took</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">my</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">children</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">and</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">my</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">dog</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">and</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">fled</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">to</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">another</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">state.</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">At</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">the</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">time</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">our</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">safety</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">was</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">of</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">as</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">much</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">concern</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">as</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">my</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">future</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">career.</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">So</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">am</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">now</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">working</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">as</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">a</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">patient</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">care</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">assistant</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">and</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">applying</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">to</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">scholarships</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">to</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">cover</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">my</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">out</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">of</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">state</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">tuition.</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">was</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">able</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">to</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">plan</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">ahead</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">and</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">apply</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">to</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">several</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">nursing</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">schools</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">in</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">states</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">considered</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">safe</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">for</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">myself</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">and</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">my</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">children.</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">Although</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">have</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">only</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">lived</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">for</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">less</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">than</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">a</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">month</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">have</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">found</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">a</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">job</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">in</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">patient</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">care</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">since</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">have</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">a</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">nursing</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">assistant</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">certification,</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">have</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">also</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">applied</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">for</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">volunteer</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">positions</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">at</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">the</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">two</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">local</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">hospitals.</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">hope</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">to</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">volunteer</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">with</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">women</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">who</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">are</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">recovering</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">from</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">domestic</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">violence</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">whose</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">stories</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">have</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">not</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">turned</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">out</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">as</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">positive</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">as</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">mine.</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">This</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">journey</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">to</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">become</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">a</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">nurse</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">has</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">taken</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">me</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">four</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">years</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">and</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">it</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">has</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">only</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">begun.</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">pine</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">to</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">experience</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">Brenner's</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">stages</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">of</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">socialization</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">in</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">nursing.</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">am</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">devoted</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">to</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">determining</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">the</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">most</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">effective</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">way</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">to</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">comfort</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">others</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">during</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">an</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">individuals</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">unique</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">physiological</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">response</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">to</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">stress</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">in</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">their</span> <span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">environment.</span></p>

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
<p>I don't know if I would put in about your abusive ex- but rest sounds great to me- more educated mamas will have better replies.  I am so excited for you and I hope hope hope you get it!!! In fact- I truly feel you will- you are more than deserving.</p>

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
<p>I would not refer to yourself in anyway in the essay other than what you are planing to do in the future with your degree, or previous work experience.  The essay should remain professional and does not need to have details of your personal life.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>For Example</p>
<p><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);">What defines an underserved community? What experiences have you had that have prepared you to work with underserved populations?</span></p>
<p style="text-align:left;"><span style="background-color:rgb(250,250,250);font-family:'New Times Roman';line-height:normal;">Define Underserved Community, then go on to tell about any vounteer opportunites, jobs,  or field placements you've had with this population.</span></p>
<p style="text-align:left;"> </p>
<p style="text-align:left;"><span style="background-color:rgb(250,250,250);font-family:'New Times Roman';line-height:normal;">What is the mission of the Nursing Scholarship Program?  Make sure you know this mission statement and you address it fully in this section.  (do not mention your own perils)</span></p>
<p style="text-align:left;"><span style="background-color:rgb(250,250,250);font-family:'New Times Roman';line-height:normal;">Please discuss your commitment to pursue a career in nursing.- this should be a forward looking statement, not what you needed to overcome to get here but what you are doing from now forward to assurre committment to nursing.  (i plan to obtain my bsn, lpn, charge nurse,  masters etc)  I want to work with xyz .  In 5 years I see my self as abc in 10 years i see my self doing 123,</span></p>
<p style="text-align:left;"><span style="background-color:rgb(250,250,250);font-family:'New Times Roman';line-height:normal;">Google around for some essays, professional statements and you will see what the board is looking for.</span></p>

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<p>So thanks to my daycare fiasco I had a lot of time yesterday after court to read over my 'brainstorm' and come up with a rough draft for the first two answers. I still haven't touched the last one and might use an essay I wrote for a previous application. I still talk about myself a bit, afterall all the applicants are community college students attempting their first Bachelors degree. I am putting my other essay here for the third answer just for the heck of it until I have a chance to rewrite it, So here are the first two rewritten:</p>
<p> </p>
<ol><li>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">How will you contribute to the mission of the Nursing Scholarship Program in providing care to underserved communities?</span></p>
</li>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I will continue the mission of the Nursing Scholarship Program in providing care to undeserved communities by returning to the communities that I have been a part of in the past. As a homeless youth over a decade ago I found medical care difficult to obtain, only in dire circumstances was a hospital an option. This lack of access to public health care and community medical clinics is something I will help combat through caring. Although I dream of working in a fast paced emergency department, I feel that type of environment should be the last resort instead of the only option for health care. Therefore I believe to best serve the mission of the Nursing Scholarship Program one must provide services at a public health clinic in a disenfranchised location. Mobile outreach medical units would also provide access to health care for the transients who lack both transportation to clinics and a central location for a clinic. I hope to help underserved and vulnerable individuals by working at a youth drop in clinic in an urban area.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">By addressing adolescents of vulnerable populations I hope to make an impact on decreasing infant mortality. I hope to work with pregnant adolescents of all ethnic backgrounds. Through education and information about medical care in native languages pregnant teenagers can make informed decisions regarding their own health care. This access to prenatal care and planning for pregnant women in low income communities will give the new members of the population a stronger start. One barrier to health care is the contrast between traditional folk medicine and the medicine of allopathic practitioners. Integration of traditional midwifery practices with proven allopatic medicine will make prenatal care more appealing to women of varied ethnic backgrounds. Rather than alienating women for adhering to their cultural beliefs it is my goal to assimilate those cultural beliefs into a unique care plan for each mother to be. One special focus for me will be to work with pregnant women who need to escape domestic violence. As a domestic abuse survivor I can relate to the challenges these women face and am empathetic towards any woman in the same situation. I would like to reach out to those who are pregnant and have the wellbeing of their future child to consider. Once given the opportunity to further my education these goals will materialize throughout my service commitment.</span></p>
<ol><li>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">What defines an underserved community? What experiences have you had that have prepared you to work with underserved populations?</span></p>
</li>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">Underserved populations have one common ground regardless of the population; poverty is found in areas in need of more medical facilities. Whether the population is a rural township or an urban neighborhood of immigrants, lack of money results in lack of medical care. In impoverished communities the ratio of primary care providers, such as nurse practitioners, to community members is frighteningly low. Some people are fortunate enough to find the Medicaid programs run by the department of health. Due to language barriers and aspects of poverty those who are truly underserved do not have suitable access to Medicaid. The rate of infant mortality is a reflection upon the health care available to the population as a whole. By providing access to health care in underserved populations infant mortality will decline.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">I was once a member of an underserved population. Through hard work, perseverance and knowing when to ask for help I was able to break the cycle of poverty. Since becoming a nursing assistant I have continued to interact with underserved populations. Prior to becoming a nursing assistant I had volunteered at an assisted living facility where the residents were all elderly. This volunteer experience heightened my awareness to the plight of underserved individuals. While volunteering I would socialize and converse with the residents while visiting with a therapy dog. My dog was trained and registered with a national therapy dog organization. The emotional support that was provided by a companion animal was an amazing process which I would like to expand upon in the future.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">Another aspect of underserved populations are those with developmental delays and disabilities. Disabled adults are often in need of more health care than they can facilitate for themselves. This I have seen through my time as a patient care assistant in home health. Now the majority of my empathy comes from working as a nursing assistant at a long term care facility where all the residents were on Medicaid or Medical. By caring for people at the long term care facility I had to overcome language barriers. While working with Asian and Hispanic elders I developed skills of cultural awareness and nonverbal communication. As a certified nursing assistant I have worked with all three aspects of under served populations that I had given to by previously volunteering at an assisted living facility.</span></p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;"></p>
<ol><li>
<p><span style="font-family:'New Times Roman';">Please discuss your commitment to pursue a career in nursing.</span> (I used this essay for another scholarship application I have not yet heard from)</p>
</li>
</ol><p> </p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;line-height:150%;"><span style="color:#000000;"><span><span style="font-family:arial, serif;"><span style="font-size:medium;"><span style="font-style:normal;"><span style="font-weight:normal;"><span style="background:#ffffff;">I have always taken a holistic approach to my own health care and in influencing others. Therefore I have an ambition to integrate traditional modalities of healing with allopathic medicine through patient education. As a teenager  in Santa Cruz I was influenced by naturalists and alternative practitioners in the community. This inspired me to enroll in several non college courses in massage therapy, acupressure, Reiki, herbalism and reflexology.  The zeitgeist of this education assisted me through the natural birth of my daughter; an experience enlightening me on the ways of midwifery. Now, I pine to assist other people to live within their fullest state of wellness and health.</span></span></span></span></span></span></span><br><span style="color:#000000;"><span><span style="font-family:arial, serif;"><span style="font-size:medium;"><span style="font-style:normal;"><span style="font-weight:normal;"><span style="background:#ffffff;">The philosophies behind alternative healing practices have remained with me throughout the years. This has caused an accentuating desire within me to advocate for and assist others during situations when their body ecology is not within equilibrium. I was not certain my affinity for alternative systems of health and healing would fit in with the allopathic nature of nursing. Once I read about caring theory and the way that psychology, philosophy and spirituality result in a humans physiological response to medical conditions; I found clarity in what nursing is. It is the holistic art of caring which I hope to expand upon while I effectuate a degree in nursing. At the apex of my career my long range goal is to have achieves certification with the American Holistic Nurses Association and a degree in Midwifery.</span></span></span></span></span></span></span></p>
<p><br>
 </p>
<p> </p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts