Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There...
I have a few questions for those of you who might know your way around the Italian shops better than I....

First, my daughter has to wear an apron over her clothes at the scuola materna and they are thin, but long sleeved with elastic wrists and she hates the feeling. She gets hot and doesn't like anything tight on her body. Also, all the ones that I can find in the shops are pink or blue gingham... has any one had luck finding an alternative. Maybe just a cotton smock that goes over the head without the arms. I'm fine with her just not wearing one, but apparently the teachers are not. They just put her in an extra one that they have there and she just deals with it... she doesn't know Italian well enough yet to protest.

Also... since we are on the subject of shopping. I'd like to cook more at home but I can't find ingredients. Things like vanilla extract or baking powder. Or something other than bleached flour... like rye or wheat, even just white unbleached. Do I just need to make a trip to one of the mega supermarkets outside of town or are there smaller specialty baking shops within cities?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Kanga ...
don't know how much help I'll be -- about the aprons, I'm looking for one for my DD and have only seen what you've seen so far. I do have another one but it's long-sleeved and plastic (which was great when she was smaller and laying in the paint) but I don't think that's a solution for you.
As for baking, your best bet is probably a natural foods store. They have so many different grains and grain flours available. They'll cost a little more but it's worth it. You could even mix with the regular stuff.
I discovered spelt here (farro) and I love it (if you can love a grain).
The equivalent to baking powder is "lievito". It will probably contain vanilla flavoring if you get it at the supermarket. Again, natural food stores will give you an alternative.
I always bring back a can of baking powder back from the States.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank so much for the translation... it is a HUGE help. We haven't been back to the US yet, but I think I'll start making a list of things like this that I need. Also, my DH pointed out that the vanilla extract that I found is just fake flavoring. Fortunately I have found a NaturaSi and they seemed to have a lot of stuff there. I'll go back for a more focused visit, looking for "lievito"

I stumbled across an apron store that had a ton of different checkered colors for my daughter, but she still didn't want to choose one. Oh, well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Kanga
I was at a store called "Ipercoop" (they're all over) near here and they had a bunch of sleeveless plastic aprons with goofy characters on them. I don't know if you want the plastic but it could be an alternative to the checkers...
All the best with the baking. I think you're in a great area and it's just a matter of getting to know what's around. Then I'll be asking you for advice!
Ciao for now...

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Doesn't the school tell you what color the grembiule should be?

(my schools were white for girls and black for boys
)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.