Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how do you handle school clothes? Do you go out at the begining of the school year and buy a whole set of new clothes? Do you just get a few new things? Or do you just put them in the clothes they already have and only buy new when they grow out of the old. Right now my kids don't really need anything, it will still be hot when school starts so they can keep wearing their summer clothes. But I worry that if i don't stock up now everything will be gone in November when I need warmer clothes. The stores will have their spring clothes out by then
:. I like to order most of their clothes from Lands End or L.L. Bean because it's good quality and I'm to lazy to drive the hour it takes to get to any store, and they run out of stock pretty fast. Just wondering what everyone else does?

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
I only buy him clothes when he needs them. LL Bean, Lands End, Talbots, Hannah, all have great "end of season" sales so most of the fall/winter clothes will be on sale by the time I need them (I live outside ogf Boston) I love Lands End overstock catalog (online). You can get last years fall clothes now if you aren't picky. For things like a good wintercoat, boots etc I might buy in season but rarely do you have to pay full price if you watch the ads and sign up for the email newsletters. Doing this allows me to buy all the really cute stuff at full price. Mini Boden is my favorite, expensive but worth it. Great boys clothes that appeal to real boys!
http://www.boden.co.uk/c.asp?segid=5&segname=Mini&gen=2

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Well, we're homeschooling, but I fondly remember back to school shopping as a kid. I seem to remember getting a fair bit, at least 5 or 6 new outfits. And then deciding which one to wear on the first day - very exciting stuff.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I hit the clearance racks all year round and buy standard stuff that I know my kids will grow into. So, I already have the basics on hand. I will take each one of my dds out for a separate "girls day out" to buy some school clothes and go out to lunch with mom. I only usually need to buy a couple of outfits for each one. My younger one also has some hand me downs from the older one to supplement her wardrobe.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I start scouting the catalogs mentioned in July for basic bottoms-but always have to be looking to grab interesting tops when I find them because my oldest is very particular. She will only wear "cool" things-nothing "cute" or "sweet"-so if I'm always looking for size 6x goth stylings (anyone know where I can find goth clothing for a six year old?) to pair with the basic pants or shorts (no skirts allowed.) Luckily she likes some things by Roxy, and some skater stuff-hopefully it will get easier as she gets larger. Shoes are easy-she only wants chucks and a pair of boots this year.

My youngest is much easier to accomodate-she likes play dresses and leggings.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Mid to late August, we assess what fall/winter clothes that DS has that either still fit or need to be donated. Once we do that, we make a list and hit the stores.

I always shop sales and I have some particular favorite stores since DS can be hard to shop for in the pants department - Sears, for example sells boys SLIM pants (7 Slim is what he is wearing now). We also like Mervyn's, Penney's, Macy's and Old Navy.

He usually needs a new pair of athletic shoes for the school year, and also since he'll be playing soccer this fall, a new pair of cleats.

We also get him a new backpack ('cause the one from the previous school year is trashed) , and all his school supplies at Target or K-mart. I think it is fun to go shopping with him, my little man.

·
Registered
73 Posts
which makes it much easier for me. Just stock up on the knit and turtleneck shirts, pants, and socks in the right colors/sizes, and we're set. Until he has a growth spurt anyway!!!

moms222

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmd
Mid to late August, we assess what fall/winter clothes that DS has that either still fit or need to be donated. Once we do that, we make a list and hit the stores.

I always shop sales and I have some particular favorite stores since DS can be hard to shop for in the pants department - Sears, for example sells boys SLIM pants (7 Slim is what he is wearing now). We also like Mervyn's, Penney's, Macy's and Old Navy.

He usually needs a new pair of athletic shoes for the school year, and also since he'll be playing soccer this fall, a new pair of cleats.

We also get him a new backpack ('cause the one from the previous school year is trashed) , and all his school supplies at Target or K-mart. I think it is fun to go shopping with him, my little man.
This is pretty much exactly what we do.

Assess what current clothes fit, and pack up those that don't - making a list of what we need.

Every year they get new backpacks and new tennis shoes. I try to get at least two years out of coats.

I'd guess we get more than half of their wardrobes for the year in August, supplementing with sale purchases throughout the year as needed. I try to buy everything on sale if possible.

If dd wants something that is more than I'm willing to pay (say a certain pair of jeans or tennis shoes), I'll pay the amount I find reasonable, and she can make up the difference if they are so important to her.

This year, for the first time, dd1 and dd2 are attending private school, with uniforms. We ordered those online - really, really reasonable. I told the girls that we'd still get a few new "cool clothes" (instead of school clothes).

·
Registered
325 Posts
I buy a whole year ahead, off-season. At the END of the fall/winter I hit the fall/winter clearance sales. At the END of the spring/summer I hit the spring/summer clearance sales.

Twice a year I shop at a large community sale as well and get some very nice used items.

Then, just before the season hits, I pull everything out of storage and figure out if any pieces are "missing." Do they need more pants? Does my girlie-girl daughter have enough dresses? Etc. After I figure out if anything is missing I look for "in season" clothes to fill in the gaps.

·
Registered
934 Posts
We have always hit the thrift stores in early August and then again the Middle of Sept. We just can't afford all new clothes. I end up buying gap and other expensive clothing that looks like it was hardly worn for really cheap at the thrift store, a lot of times still with tags
In August we get just a few items, September there is usually more to choose from b/c everyone has done their school shopping and has dropped off last years school clothes. We buy a few things new, one or two shirts a "cool" pair of pants, and shoes.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I tend to buy as he needs clothes, getting as much as I can from thrift and consignment.

Funny story, we were in the store buying DS a pair of gym shoes (he usually only has 1 pair of shoes per season and he couldnt wear his sandals in gym class, so I had to buy his "winter" shoes early). Once we picked them out, I wanted to wander over to clearance racks to get him a few pairs of shorts for school. I told him this and he looked down at his shorts and said "I already have shorts, I dont need any more."
What a little boy!

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
I have them try on everything and keep only those things that still fit and aren't stained. Then, we make a list and get the jeans from the thrift store along with whatever appeals to them. Finally, we check the back to school fliers to see what's in style this year. If it's not too icky for our family values, we'll buy three to four "trendy" items to go with things we already own. This system has worked wonderfully for me for many years. Never once have my kids been ridiculed over clothing.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
dd is still having odd growth spurts, was 4T for a year and then went from 4T last fall to 6 this fall. She's also has "issues" (only wearing overalls, only elastic waist, etc) so I haven't had any luck buying clothes ahead as dd is often on to a different issue by the she needs a different size.
So for the most part no new stuff just because it's school. dd went from a sz11 shoe to 1 so dd "needs" some winter shoes (got new clogs this week and will needs snowboots by Nov.)

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moms222
which makes it much easier for me. Just stock up on the knit and turtleneck shirts, pants, and socks in the right colors/sizes, and we're set. Until he has a growth spurt anyway!!!

moms222
Kailey starts kindergarten this Fall and we have uniforms in our county. I saved a load of money making her uniforms. We went today (tax free weekend) and purchased 3 more shirts (she has 5 now) and a pair of good tennis shoes. She's all set!

I have 5 more yards of fabric (bought a ton for 2 dollars a yard) so I'll make more pants as the year progresses. We'll but turtlenecks to go under her shirts as well. All we really need for the colder weather is a mid-weight jecket.

Plus, another money saver, I've made her backpack!

*As a rule I think we'll make things/buy them as the year progresses. Most likely she'll need another pair of shoes as she has grown from an 11 then a 12 and now a 12 1/2 in less than six months.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFmom
I hit the clearance racks all year round and buy standard stuff that I know my kids will grow into. So, I already have the basics on hand. I will take each one of my dds out for a separate "girls day out" to buy some school clothes and go out to lunch with mom. I only usually need to buy a couple of outfits for each one. My younger one also has some hand me downs from the older one to supplement her wardrobe.
: This is our first year needing school clothes, but I've realized he only actually NEEDS a few pairs of pants and new underclothes. AND, the big semi-annual boutique consignment sale is in town this month!!!

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
CT is having a whole week free of sales tax, I think. But we only have a tax on individual clothing items if they cost over $50, and since these aren't the ones I'll be purchasing for ds to wear in first grade, I can buy his clothes without tax any old day!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I support our school uniform policy, despite the fact that the principal had the parents vote for a "dress code" and each year she adds more rules.
This is a middle school in Union County, NC, Weddington Middle School.
The children may not wear non uniform colored winter coats during the day. The uniform colors are navy, hunter green, white, and khaki. No stripes or logos. The children will be punished if they wear their regular colored coats to the trailers to change classes, or to recess. This is a public school, and in my humble opinion, the principal has no right to do this.
Thoughts?
Of course, I also think it is a bad idea to paddle children for being tardy to class, but the Union County school system disagreed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts