Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Please help me if you can, especially if you know about the interview process for new hires in schools.<br><br>
I'm considering interviewing for a full time position within the school district. It would be for a school nurse. This district does the same kind of interviewing for teachers, nurses, counselors, etc. It's a group interview with the principal and numerous teachers/employees. It focuses more on "tell me your strengths, weaknesses/team-player" type questions and less on "how is your style of nursing/how do you handle this medical emergency". Meaning, I've <i>never</i> had one of these kinds of interviews and I have no idea how to respond. I'm used to a nurse manager asking me nursing questions, not school team-player type ones. I know everyone in the group interviewing me will have an educational background, not a medical one. There must be something they are looking for, right? A correct way to answer, or specifically, answers to avoid? I would assume a generic "yes, I'm a team player" kind of answer isn't really what they are looking for.<br><br>
So if anybody knows anything about this, please pass along some advice. I know I can do the job (I've substituted numerous times but that interview was one on one) but I'm not sure how to prepare for this kind of interview.<br>
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Situational interviewing seems to be popular. They might ask you questions that begin with: Think of a time when you had to do ______ or "You had to tell a parent _____." They may have very specific questions. Just be honest. If you haven't faced the situation before say so, but describe how you would handle it. Don't try to make something up. Also, if you've been through something similar, don't hesitate to guide it in the direction. Think of a few shining examples of how you have handled delicate or difficult situations and work them in - even if they weren't work related - like volunteer stuff or even family if you are comfortable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts