Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing up my final semester of getting my MA in English. Three courses is considered full-time, but most students take two courses. I, stupidly, took four. I am also a single, working, homeschooling mom.<br>
So I have been frantically trying to finish the research papers that are due this week. The first one was due yesterday, and it was supposed to be 18-23 pages...mine was 11. Should I even bother emailing the professor to provide an explanation and ask if I could re-submit it if the grade makes my GPA unacceptable(it has to remain at 3.0 for the program)? I hate making excuses. I've been sick basically for weeks, and I just lost my job and so did my daughter's father so child support money stopped so I've been working extra hours like crazy. Ultimately it's my own fault though for not managing my time well, and I probably already seem like a flake. Should I just wait and see what grade I get, or should I email the professor now to explain myself? What should I say?<br>
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Did you have an A in the class going in? And how much is this paper worth? Since you have, in fact, been sick for weeks, I would consider asking for an incomplete. Some schools are stingier with those than others (mine seems to hand them out like candy).<br><br>
An email probably isn't a bad idea. You could either ask how much an 11-page paper is likely to sink your class grade; whether you could have an incomplete; or whether you could have an extension. This would be on the basis of your illness, job loss and extra-hours working (I'm confused, did you have two jobs? How can you work extra hours when you lost your job?). Being a single mother wouldn't be a reason for an incomplete or extension, because you knew you were a single mother when you registered for classes, but you did not know ahead of time that you would be sick and lose your job. At least that's how it works at my school.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
explain.<br><br>
my professors were almost always willing to give me a little extra time to finish an assignment it something came up in my life situation, especially when i was a grad student rather than an undergrad.<br><br>
besides, it seems pretty obvious that you are not in the habit of using excuses to slack off on your assignments. if it's a one time think i'd just ask, the worst that can happen is that they say no.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
It's always worth asking. The worst they can do is say no.<br><br>
Email and ask right now! Don't over think it - just explain that you turned in the paper but you know it was not your best work and was not the length requested, and ask what the prof would suggest. If you know you could get a fuller version done by a certain date, maybe say that too.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone.<br>
lolar--I'm a nanny and was just told that they won't be needing me after the kids finish the school year in a few weeks. So I'm still working but won't be soon and don't have anything else lined up. I've been taking on all the extra babysitting hours I've been offered to try to save up a little money.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's probably too late to put my two cents in, but I say---- GO FOR IT! You have nothing to lose!<br><br>
When I was in school, I chatted it up with my profs and was fairly honest if I thought I needed more time, more help... etc. And I've learned that profs are fairly generous if people need more time or a helping hand. It is WAY better to be upfront as early as you can..... I hope it works out for you! I know it is very very stressful.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I think that if possible you should speak to your prof in person. Your reasons for needing time are totally legit (my DH is a prof, and after awhile you get a finely tuned BS meter. Your story does not set off any red flags etc). I think that an in-person conversation would show more respect for your prof then shooting off an e-mail.<br><br>
And, no, you didn't screw up big time. Life just happened is all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts