Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think school personnel (nurses, staff, admissions, etc.) purposely mislead parents who do not know their rights or are just uninformed??

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Well I know of one woman off another mainstream board (she's in the US) I belong to who works in admissions, knows full well what the deal is, but totally disagrees with non-vaxxing and made a point of saying this in an old argument:

Quote:
I have to admit...as the admissions person at xx school..and due to the fact I bring my infant son to work with me I probably will not accept anyone that does not vaccinate.
does she have the power to do that?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathansmum
Well I know of one woman off another mainstream board (she's in the US) I belong to who works in admissions, knows full well what the deal is, but totally disagrees with non-vaxxing and made a point of saying this in an old argument:

does she have the power to do that?
Not at a public school in a state that recognizes exemptions
:

Quote:
Do you think school personnel (nurses, staff, admissions, etc.) purposely mislead parents who do not know their rights or are just uninformed??
I used to think they were just uninformed, now I'm not so sure. Someone posted an article here a while back with a quote from a school nurse (Nurse Nancy or something?) Someone here wrote a letter to the school superintendent in response. Remember that? The nurse in this article said that she just tells parents what to do and they do it. I consider that purposely misleading.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I work at a public school (teacher) and, up until this past year (when I had ds), I was uniformed. Every year we have our exclusion date, when students who are not up to date on their vaxes are no longer allowed to attend. I've had students kicked out and they always come back a few days later with their updated vax records.

It is the nurse, of course, that sends home all the paperwork. I can't imagine that the nurse DOESN'T KNOW. But it is extremely possible that the secretaries don't know much about it. Although I had a non-vaxed student who obviously must have signed the appropriate stuff because he was not excluded (although his parents ultimately withdrew him for other reasons).

Might I pose an additional question?
Do you think it is the responsibility of school personnel to inform parents of their choices regarding vaxes?

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chersolly
I think it's a little of both, but I would have to say the majority are uninformed.

We had a mama here recently who was told her child needed a second dose of MMR. In lieu of the second dose MMR, the mama had titers done (the first dose was already given as a toddler). The mama submitted titer results and measles and mumps came up with sufficient antibodies, however, rubella came up "unequivocal" and the nurse insisted that the second dose MMR must be administered in order for her child to remain at school.

This mama's state law only requires one (1) dose of rubella and mumps vaccine. The state required two doses of measles. We gave her a copy of the state law and all was well . . . but can you imagine what goes on that we don't know about?

Moral of the story: Never believe what the school tells you. Find out for yourself.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
I also wanted to add something along the lines of misleading parents.

Up until 2005, pertussis and tetanus were not required for school entry in NY State. Technically only three doses of diptheria were required. So now with the new law, all children born on/after 1/1/05 are required to have three doses of D, T and P.

How many NY parents know that?

And the peds are no better - my peds office (until I faxed over the laws) routinely told parents that FIVE doses of DTaP were required for school entry in my state. Many seem to be under the impression the CDC recommended schedule is actually a federal law or every state's laws reflect the recommended schedule.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I just think the vast majority are uninformed. Most school admin. truly have no clue about vaccinations at all, none. Most medical professionals (myself excluded) truly believe in vaccines so they of course are not going to go around offering everyone exemptions, they truly believe that vaxs are for the best. I know I used to believe that.

But schools are uninformed and against about a lot of things IMO, not just vaccines. Schools are very cookie cutter, keep everyone in the box. Anything outside the mainstream (homeschooling, etc) they freak out about so them freaking out about vaccines isn't any surprise to me.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trini
Do you think it is the responsibility of school personnel to inform parents of their choices regarding vaxes?
Is it the right of a school to harrass a parent by saying that no child can come to school without shots?

The second question then, does the school know that their harrassment of parents is unlawful?

If so, why do they do it?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trini
Absolutely, if the same school personnel is the one telling the parents no shots, no school.

Whatever school personnel is involved in this process absolutely should be advising the parents the state policy on vaccines, the entire policy, including state specific waivers, and should also include state specific requirements, which normally differ from the CDC "recommended" schedule.

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by marilynmama
I just think the vast majority are uninformed. Most school admin. truly have no clue about vaccinations at all, none. Most medical professionals (myself excluded) truly believe in vaccines so they of course are not going to go around offering everyone exemptions, they truly believe that vaxs are for the best. I know I used to believe that.

But schools are uninformed and against about a lot of things IMO, not just vaccines. Schools are very cookie cutter, keep everyone in the box. Anything outside the mainstream (homeschooling, etc) they freak out about so them freaking out about vaccines isn't any surprise to me.
I think the bigger issue is that school's are a main target for lawsuits- I wouldn't say they "freak out", as lets face it, my tax dollars have helped pay some of those settlements.
Because of that, the attorneys set forth a standard set of paperwork for each department (ie paperwork for nurses, counselors, etc). Then the new staff are told to hand those out.

My school nurse was very aware of the state laws regarding vaccination. I told her that I selective vax, she said she did the same with her own kids. But when she has a student show up without any paperwork at all, she gives them the preapproved forms. The hope is, of course, that the student and parent will take them to a health care provider and then find out their health options there. Ultimately, the responsibility is on the parent, imo.

But the schools cannot accept a student here without paperwork. Either a vax history, or an exemption form. Period.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I think its both, some nurses fully know and purposly mislead some parents who are trying for exemptions etc.

And some are miseducated or uneducated, that includes admin and principals.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chersolly
They mislead along with the Health Department where I live because they told me my child couldn't go to school w/out them.

I already know the school where my dd will be going gives a parent a questionaire to fill out! when you file a religious exemption. So, I suspect it'll be a 'fight' gettting my kid into public school next year for Kinder.
:

julie

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
From my own experience I would say that the school nurse knows but the admin does not. I mean, think about what the average American thinks about vaxing; they believe it is a legal requirement. I'm willing to bet the majority of Americans think vaxes are non-negotiable on some kind of a legal level. So, when the woman who gives you your paperwork at the school tells you they are required she probably believes they are required. I mean, they also believe these vaxes are protecting their kids from fatal illnesses.

When I registered my son I went to h-e-double hockey sticks and back with the admin of the school. One short and sweet conversation with the nurse cleared it all up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts