Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son just started Kindergarten today. The issue is that they have a snack time and instead of bringing their own snack every day, parents sign up for one day a month to bring snacks for everyone. We are supposed to bring things like crackers, juice or milk, etc. The teacher sent home some info with her home phone number. Should I call her and tell her that I don't want my son eating the snack and that he'll bring his own..... or should I just let him eat the snack knowing that the rest of his meals will be healthy. If I tell her that I want him to eat his own snack then will that just make him feel weird during snack time when everyone else is eating something different. I hate the idea of him getting MSG, artificial sweeteners and transfats. These three ingredients are bound to be in the snacks everyday. Don't know what to do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When my daughters were in kindergarten, the teachers decided to do "hotdog day" and once a week cooked hotdogs for all the kids. I spoke with the teachers and sent my own organic, all beef, no msg hotdogs in my girls' lunchboxes those days. They had a hot dog like the other children, but it was one I found acceptable.<br><br>
Since it is unlikely that you'll be able to get a list ahead of time so as to coordinate your snacks...I'd send my own after speaking with the teacher.<br>
My girls learned that they shouldn't drink the milk provided (non-fat or 2% pastuerized) and they always had a bottle of water with them. For birthdays of other children, I let them eat the treat provided, since it was not frequent, but for daily snacks, I'd send my own.<br><br>
That way your child will learn that healthy food choices made by you are not relaxed at school. Once children acquire a taste for goldfish and juiceboxes....well, it's a battle.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
My kids don't go to school but during VBS and that sort of thing I always send their own snacks. They like to come home and report on the yucky things the other kids bring to eat. They usually get some cut up fruit and something like homemade muffins or bread (their favorite).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input. I called and spoke to the teacher. She said that she understood and that my son could bring his own snack but it would be up to him to go and get it at snack time. She said that she would explain to the other kids that he needed to have special food. I really hope it works out and that my son will eat only what I give him. Right now he is very excited about taking his own snack. I just wish they would just have all the kids bring their own. Thanks again for the feedback.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts