Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just took a tour for my child's preschool at the Waldorf school. It is very different from our at home lifestyle. They are outside a great deal of time rain ot shine. Their snacks mostly contain seeds,honey,molasses etc. And the lunches are natural and healthy. They ask for no T.V drink the week. I LOVE this school but...my son won't eat healthy let alone veggies. What if he gets sick from being in the rain? I'm not sure he will like it. So even if he doesn't should I keep taking him? I wouldn't mind but my partner disagrees about alot of it. Advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Ok, lots of issues here.

1) you and your partner need to agree first. Maybe a trial period as a compromise?

2) What are the alternatives if he doesn't like it. You've mentioned homeschooling before. If that is a genuine option then you could do that if he doesn't like it. If not then you will have to decide whether it is that school he doesn't like or school in general. If it is school in general then you'll have to pick the best option and support him through it.

3) kids will often do things at school that they won't do at home. He may well eat things there that he hasn't for you.

4) he won't get sick from playing in the rain. Playing in the rain is great! At my daughter's Steiner school they keep raincoats and wellies there all the time so they can play if it's raining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, lots of issues here.

1) you and your partner need to agree first. Maybe a trial period as a compromise?

2) What are the alternatives if he doesn't like it. You've mentioned homeschooling before. If that is a genuine option then you could do that if he doesn't like it. If not then you will have to decide whether it is that school he doesn't like or school in general. If it is school in general then you'll have to pick the best option and support him through it.

3) kids will often do things at school that they won't do at home. He may well eat things there that he hasn't for you.

4) he won't get sick from playing in the rain. Playing in the rain is great! At my daughter's Steiner school they keep raincoats and wellies there all the time so they can play if it's raining.

Thank you for your response. I think the homeschool issue is out of fear and I know that I can't put my fears on my child. Well, this decision is hard. We are new to Waldorf and I feel that if my son goes to a Waldorf preschool/kindergarten it will prepare him the structure for the rest of his school life. I feel that if we wait than the transition might be harder. My partner feels better about sending him to the non Waldorf preschool down the street. True it's way closer than compared to about an hour away. But there they teach them to read,math and science. The other concern I have about that Waldorf school is that in the backyard there is a deep drop off ledge that goes to a rough terane . They only have a small fence for protection. He loves to climb. So I keep thinking would I compromise my child's safety just for him to go to that school? I don't know what to think. As for my partner I kind of feel that I don't take her feelings about his education into consideration. Can it be possible that Waldorf won't be a good fit for my child? I mean is there a fit for any certain kind of education really? Well, the directed did say they will assign an older child to the younger ones. Would it be so wrong to send him to the school down the street. I mean I don't agree with teaching kids academic too early. Should that be a factor? The Waldorf school is the only one near us. There's one further but it's so oooo much more expensive. So much to think about. Shouldn't this be easier? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Have you looked at other non-Waldorf preschools a bit further afield from you? You may very well be able to find a non/less academic option that's not Waldorf. My DD went to a wonderful play-based preschool, but it really didn't tout itself as anything particular. I so dearly wish that they had a kindergarten program, but alas....

Btw, my DD is now in public K and we don't like it at all. It's not the academics per se. It's that the academics fill up all of the time so there's no time to focus on the developing young children, their foundation, their self-care skills, etc. I would recommend looking at schools based on how well they prioritize the development of the young child regardless of whether academics are involved.

·
Super Moderator
7,581 Posts
I think it keeps coming back to this: are you passionate about Waldorf education for your child, or not? Is your partner? From moderating this forum for 10 years I would say that the families that pursue Waldorf do so no matter what obstacles get in their way--simply because they believe strongly in the philosophy of Waldorf education. If you and your partner do not have that passion about Waldorf education, it seems silly to commute an hour each way at the preschool level. The preschool down the street may not be as academic as you are perceiving; it certainly is not considered 'best practice' to be highly academic in preschool with all the recent research on brain development.

I agree with previous posters that you and your partner have got to be in alignment on this if it is going to work.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
kittycat1;19281186. True it's way closer than compared to about an hour away. .[/QUOTE said:
The waldorf preschool is about an hour away? It's hard for me to imagine a two hour a day commute for preschool. How would that work? Would you drive there, drop him off and go back home? Stay near the preschool and hang out at a coffee shop? I don't get it.

Is this child an only child, or are you going to be driving a younger sibling all day in the car as well?

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Our DD's school is a 45minute drive away. We live in a regional city and it is near a village in the hinterland.

We drive her up, drop her off and go home. If DH has a day off, he does both trips and DD2 stays home with me. If he is on an evening shift he does the morning drive. If he is on a day shift, DD2 has to do both trips with me. Next year DD2 will go to kindy three days a week which will lessen her travel. We have lots of music and story CDs and DD1 has colouring books. It's actually quite a nice time to chat as well.

The school she goes to is the only alternative school in our area. If she didn't go there our choices would be public school, private catholic school or private Anglican school. All very mainstream, all doing academics in Prep. I would *love* the school to be closer to home. Walking to school would be lovely.

I have just realised, typing this, that I've assumed the OP's school is not just kindy though. If it was just kindy then it seems like the benefits probably don't outweigh the negatives.

The other things I was going to mention are carpooling and bus services. Carpooling is very common at our school, since about 50% of the students come from our city. The school also has three buses to cover most of their catchment area. These might be options for the future if the OP decides to proceed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I am passonate about Waldorf philosophy. My son is an only child. He was in preschool in one near us for about a month but then we took him out since they wanted him to be fully potty trained as for most preschools we noticed. As for the commute, we haven't figured that out yet. The directed did say there's a lot of families that come from our town so we will look into commuting that way. I very strongly agree on no academics in the early years. It seems that all the other preschools offer academics. Lauren, are you saying it's silly of us to travel so far just for preschool if I'm not into Waldorf or just in general it won't matter at this level? I'm just unsure of the future and then my mind goes to worst case scenarios. I suffer from depression so that's a negative mindset that I am trying to fix...very hard work. Thank you everyone for advice.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Is this just for preschool or will he be able to do Steiner for primary school as well? Honestly, if it was just for preschool, it hardly seems worth it to me. You could just keep him at home and do some community-based classes. Steiner early childhood is about creating a home-like environment anyway.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
I don't understand the point of having a small child sit in the car 2 hours a day to be someplace that is trying to be like home. There are some lovely things about Waldorf, but I don't think this school makes sense for you.

I also think that making such a huge commitment of time *without the full support of your partner* is a recipe for problems, especially since you sometimes have problems with depression.

I suggest sitting down with your partner and making a list of what is important to each of you and trying to find some common ground. It might be an option that is different from preschool. At that age, my kids took different classes from parks and rec., and we did Waldorf inspired crafts at home, spent time in nature, read good books, etc.

I don't see how there is a "worst case scenario" here. What your child needs most is just love and consistency and some interesting things going on. There isn't some magic formula to the preschool years. There are lots and lots of ways to get a child through this phase.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Our local Waldorf has a very nice parent-child weekly program as well. That may be something you would benefit from. It's intended to be educational for the parent as well as a preschool-style experience for the child.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Our local Waldorf has a very nice parent-child weekly program as well. That may be something you would benefit from. It's intended to be educational for the parent as well as a preschool-style experience for the child.

Oh, yes, ours has a playgroup once a week too.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I don't understand the point of having a small child sit in the car 2 hours a day to be someplace that is trying to be like home. There are some lovely things about Waldorf, but I don't think this school makes sense for you.

I also think that making such a huge commitment of time *without the full support of your partner* is a recipe for problems, especially since you sometimes have problems with depression.

I agree with the second paragraph wholeheartedly.

I agree with the first, if this is just for preschool. If the child will be starting primary school at the same school next year then I think it would be worthwhile to allow him to get used to being away from home, the school routine and the environment *before* he starts the academic program. That's why Steiner schools have early childhood programs and don't just start at class one. Well, that and economics of course.

The other thing is that this may not be a 5 day/week program. At our school 3-4yo kindy is 3 days/week and 4-5yo kindy is 4 days/week. Then they do 5 days starting in their Prep year which is the last year of early childhood.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with the second paragraph wholeheartedly.

I agree with the first, if this is just for preschool. If the child will be starting primary school at the same school next year then I think it would be worthwhile to allow him to get used to being away from home, the school routine and the environment *before* he starts the academic program. That's why Steiner schools have early childhood programs and don't just start at class one. Well, that and economics of course.

The other thing is that this may not be a 5 day/week program. At our school 3-4yo kindy is 3 days/week and 4-5yo kindy is 4 days/week. Then they do 5 days starting in their Prep year which is the last year of early childhood.

The school will be preschool and kinder. Yeah, he will be going twice per week. I did sign him up for a parent child once per week class but they aren't getting back to me due to them deciding on the details of the class. Meanwhile it's so soon for open enrollment. What about his socal skills at this age? And he is so attached to us . I don't want him to be in first grade and crying for us when the separation anxiety should've passes by that age.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
What school will he be be going to after kinder? What is their early childhood program like?

If the distance is the only concern your partner has then maybe a compromise could be that you just do the kinder year and not preschool at the Steiner school.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What school will he be be going to after kinder? What is their early childhood program like?

If the distance is the only concern your partner has then maybe a compromise could be that you just do the kinder year and not preschool at the Steiner school.

The primary school he will go to is either a Waldorf school or a public Waldorf inspired school of which both are in the same town as the early education one is. We looked into moving there but it's so expensive.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
In that case, I think the early childhood program is worth it. But I also still think you could just do one year and not two if that would make everything easier.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
The primary school he will go to is either a Waldorf school or a public Waldorf inspired school of which both are in the same town as the early education one is. We looked into moving there but it's so expensive.
Is your partner on board with those options for primary school?

Reactions: katelove

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey everyone thanks for all the advice. My partner and me agreed to homeschool him. Hopefully the teacher can teach the Waldorf way.

·
Super Moderator
7,581 Posts
Hey everyone thanks for all the advice. My partner and me agreed to homeschool him. Hopefully the teacher can teach the Waldorf way.
If you're homeschooling, aren't the two of you the teachers? :dizzy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts