Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping you fitness smart mamas could help me out.

I have been struggling with sciatic nerve pain, which is making it difficult for me to exercise.

Prior to April, I never really had sciatic nerve pain. Starting mid March, I began to exercise on my new treadmill. I thought it was an appropriate amount and difficulty, but question if I warmed up and cooled down enough, and now wonder if the incline was too high. About 2-3 weeks into it, my nerve really began to hurt. So much so that it was difficult taking a simple slow walk with my toddler. I would break out in a pain-sweat.

At the same time, I found myself sleeping uncomfortably at night. Kind of sleeping on the crack between the big bed and the twin bed. I wasn't sure if it was the exercise or sleeping that was causing the pain.

I decided to stop exercising and being more careful sleeping. Finally, the pain seemed to be gone!! I decided to start exercising again. I am very overweight and exercise seems to be necessary for me for health and weightloss.

I decided to have a short workout (10 min at appropriate heart rate level, & 6 min warm/cool). I decreased the incline thinking the incline might be hurting the nerve, and increased speed. I felt comfortable.

Today, I did same workout, and now I have begun to feel pain again.

I don't know what to do. Am I not warm/cool down enough? Are there special stretches I need to do? I am so disappointed.

what can I do?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
mammo2sammo~im going thru the exact same thing that you're describing....i've had excruciating pain since jan. and i recently had an mri done and they found that i have a herniated disk in my lower back that is displacing the sciatic nerve. i did physical therapy (excercises that isolated the problem area) but that didn't help. i had to see a neurosurgeon and he suggested a steroidal epidural lumbar injection. they inject a steroid into the epidural space and its supposed to calm down the irritated nerve and work as an anti-inflammatory on the disk. i had it this last thursday and felt great the next couple days, but the pain came back. the medicine is supposed to peak at 2 wks and then i'll have a 2nd shot on june 23rd. my doc says that should break the pain cycle. so im in the waiting game....id pick excercise or this fairly un-invasive procedure over surgery anyday!!!

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
A few thoughts:

You should check the fit of your shoes. If they're old, they may need to be replaced.

Use a very mild incline (1-2%) but not totally flat.

Consider working on strengthening your abdominal and back muscles, along with your hamstrings. Make sure to stretch your gluts and hip flexors.

Chiropractic care may help.

Sleep with a pillow between your knees.

Personally, I'm betting on the shoes.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
momm2girlies - thanks I will email you

geofizz - i do have old shoes - it makes sense. I will buy new shoes this weekend, even though my clothes budget is tight - shoes are cheaper than a larger sized wardrobe. sigh.

I will increase my (or start
) strenthening exercises - this also makes sense

thank you Geofizz your info will help.

i feel hopeful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts