Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby EDD is August 20th, but for the past 4 to 5 weeks I have experienced intense sciatic nerve pain on and off for at least an hour each day. on three occasions the pain was so intense and no positioning could stop it so I was left to simply scream and cry my eyes out. With my first pregnancy I had this pain very midly and when it was the worst (the babe hit the nerve and my leg launched from underneath me causing me to fall), I went into labor two hours later. This is very different (I know, every pregnancy is different!), but last night was so awful. My dh said he'd never seen me in more pain. All he could do was hold me through it. I know it'll be worth it in the end when I hold my baby, and I'm grateful it's not constant - more than grateful - but I just hope it subsides soon (aka I go into labor!!!).

anyone else struggled with this during their pregnancies?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Sorry you're in so much pain!

I had all of these big plans for the week, but I just can't see any of them happening because of my nerve pain. It's horrible trying to walk and feeling like your legs are going to give out on you at any second! Thankfully, sitting down seems to help a lot for me.

I don't remember having this at all with dd, but then again her position was a lot different.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I struggle with that too, but mine eases if I change positions (I usually have to squat down or lift my leg). It hurts, I can't imagine if it wouldn't ease! I don't think I could handle it more than a few seconds!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks mamas. not too many folks have this problem I guess. is it all related to baby's position? sometimes I get worried that it's not in the right spot and so won't be coming out anytime soon. but then i tell myself taht worrying will only make things worse, sO I try to just let those thoughts go.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have had sciatic pain throughout this pregnancy inconsistently. It is the strangest pain with me though because sometimes it is just a hard SHARP stab that causes me to scream and then it is gone a minute later. My SIL says I am the weirdest person she knows since I laugh through the pain but I can't help it since I know I look like a fool- fine one second, then screaming and then I just keep walking, trying to play it off all cool like nothing happened. I am ridiculous!

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuri'smom
thanks mamas. not too many folks have this problem I guess. is it all related to baby's position? sometimes I get worried that it's not in the right spot and so won't be coming out anytime soon. but then i tell myself taht worrying will only make things worse, sO I try to just let those thoughts go.
I don't remember having this with DD, and she was in a bad position (posterior and never engaged). This one has been anterior all along and is definitely riding much lower. Who knows?

Try not to stress about it, though! It'll be over sooner than you think! At least that's what I keep telling myself...
:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerTwilight
I have had sciatic pain throughout this pregnancy inconsistently. It is the strangest pain with me though because sometimes it is just a hard SHARP stab that causes me to scream and then it is gone a minute later. My SIL says I am the weirdest person she knows since I laugh through the pain but I can't help it since I know I look like a fool- fine one second, then screaming and then I just keep walking, trying to play it off all cool like nothing happened. I am ridiculous!
I could have written that word for word.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been having the shooting pains down my leg,but today I just felt like someone was stabbing me in the back of my pelvis. There was no relief for it either,but now I'm ok. I'm soo ready for this baby...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
but today I just felt like someone was stabbing me in the back of my pelvis
The things we go through!!! I found that I forgot all the pain when I was holding my newborn, well maybe not THAT soon

·
Registered
250 Posts
I feel for you.... a coupla things that really help with the pain for me are icing close to my tailbone, and heating the muscles out towards my hip bones. Not at the same time... just whenever in the day I think about one or the other. The ice probably helps more.

An IMMEDIATE relief is to lay on the floor on my back while my husband pulls straight up on my leg (the one that is hurting). Keep your leg straight but not locked, and have your partner pull straight up while holding onto your ankle, then have him rock it side to side (your left and right) gently until you find the spot that makes the pain go away. Hold it for a few seconds and do this a couple times a day. Just taking away the pressure off the nerves for a few seconds is such a good feeling!

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I just happened to come across your post -- I had horrible sciatic pain for the last six weeks of my last pregnancy. It was so bad I had to use a cane to walk! And I had an active 3-year-old to keep up with ....

So, I don't know if it will make you feel any better, but ... it could be worse!
: The baby will come soon. For me the pain went away about a week before he was born when he dropped.

Maybe try to get into a warm pool.

Hang in there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.