Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my third pregnancy and each time my sciatic acts up sooner. I still have 3.5 months to go and it has made any type of movement really, really painful!!! I don't think I'll make it if I can't figure out at least some temporary relief! Would you put heat or cold on it? Has anyone found relief from massage or a chiropractor? Other ideas?? Send them my way!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
yes! Chiropractic is what I do to relieve it...I cnna't even walk some days cause the hip joint is so painful. I also use homeopathics and put homeopathic arnica cream on the skin and that gives me temporary relief. Massage would work well to, but for me the chiropractic care lasts longer.

Good luck and so sorry you have this!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Try a good yoga class. I've got sciatica, and granted, its only my 1st trimester, but there are several relaly deep hamstring stretches that release the pressure pretty well for me - Triangle, Revolving Triangle, Pyramid, and Pigeon pose are all really good for me

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joy- Thanks for the specific yoga stretches that work for you!!! I have a yoga teaching friend who I can get info from.

Jennifer- I've never been to a chiro before. What does yours do that helps the sciatic??

Thanks again for your replies! I love having like-minded mamas to talk things over with!!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
My first pregnancy I saw an osteopath who was able to clear up my crippling pain in one session.

This time, I saw an osteopath three times with no relief.

I also saw a shiatsu massage therapist three times with some relief.

I saw an acupuncturist once during my first pregnancy, with temporary (as in, a day) relief. I saw one this time with no effect.

I saw a Swedish massage therapist once this pregnancy (with the intent of treating general aches and pains, not the sciatica -- I had given up hope), with about a week of improvement.

Last time, I continued with yoga, but, in retrospect, I think I might have been a little misguided. This time, I've had to quit altogether. Even tailor sitting is out of the question. I don't find it helpful to continue with yoga during an outbreak.

This time, I put my dd in daycare and severely limited my activities. My only exercise is swimming (front crawl, no breast stroke -- too painful!). My dh does most of the dishes and grocery shopping. I try not to walk further than a couple of blocks at a time. All this has made the condition a lot more tolerable, more so than all the therapies combined.

I think that this is a highly individual thing. What works for one person one time, might not work for another, or even the same person, another time.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm still in my first trimester, but I've found that putting a pillow between my legs and sleeping on my side at least helps relieve the pain when I am sleeping. I'm also trying really hard not to cross my legs when I'm sitting at my desk at work - not too hard to remember since everytime I do I get a searing pain in my hip/leg. Driving seems to exaccerbate it, which is a pain since I have a 3-hour daily commute.

I'm looking for a new yoga class too, so hopefully that will help. It is very weird b/c I've had low-back muscle pain before and now what to do to stop that - mostly core excercises. But this feels completely different than muscle pain.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
First preg, chiro worked ok high maintinance, though.

Second one, same thing.

Third on, however, I saw an acupuncturist and it worked awesome three sessions at 7 months and I never had to go back, the pain never returned.

If I have it happen with this preg, I'll definatly go the acupuncture route first!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a horrible case of sciatica towards the end of my pregnancy. I was lucky enough to find a massage therapist/doula whose knowledge of the pregnant human body was astounding. After one killer session (the bruises showed up on my butt 4 days later!), she had greatly alleviated the problem. After one more session the next week, it was gone completely.
This chick rocked!! My point is that the massage can work if you have someone who really knows her/his stuff. Good luck -- I feel for you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts