Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh! I have always had problems with this whenever I am pregnant or just gain weight. But this time around it is litteraly unbearable. I don't just feel the shooting pain when I am walking around, but even just sitting still on the couch can put me into the type of pain to make me cry. It is just getting worse and worse and I am scared I am not even going to be able to make it to appointments and things like that because I am just going to have to lay in bed.

Does anyone know of anything I can do to relieve the pain? I have been using a heating pad but just did some research on the internet and it seems I should be using cold instead of heat.

· Registered
500 Posts
Do you have access to a TENS unit? That's what I use when there's no other way to get around. It doesn't solve the problem, but it takes the edge off the pain so I can at least walk. I've also been seeing a chiropractor regularly and that has helped a lot. My midwife highly recommends massage therapy, but that can get expensive (although it feels divine). On days when my sciatica gets particularly bad, I alternate between heating pads and ice packs, and I have my husband do lots of counter-pressure on the area. Earlier in my pregnancy, a hot bath was nice, but these days I can't maneuver myself in and out of our little bathtub, and the weather is too hot to even entertain the thought of a warm bath. Perhaps a hot shower? I wish I knew how to get rid of the sciatica altogether; I've been told that it will resolve after the birth, but that seems like ages when I'm suffering. I feel your pain, Mama! Hang in there.

· Registered
5,113 Posts
Have you had chiropractic? Also, physical therapy can help. You have something out of alignment and it probably would feel a lot better if you got your bones and muscles back into place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.