Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14048856/

Quote:
TOKYO - Researchers say they have come closer to unlocking the secrets of earthquake prediction by uncovering a link between tiny, almost imperceptible, tremors deep inside the earth and devastating quakes capable of wiping out cities.

Key to the find are so-called silent earthquakes that move so deeply and gradually that they produce no seismic waves. But they are dangerous because they build up pressure on the upper layers of the earth's crust, which eventually give way in violent snaps.
According to the article, this is a step toward earthquake prediction, but there's still a long way to go.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it. The two that I've been through up here (Alaska) there have been smaller ones (you felt them, but didn't knock stuff over) in the 2 or so weeks before the "big one." The 7.9 in 2002 was preceded by smaller ones in the 4 and 5 point range a couple weeks prior.

Jenn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.