Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.<br><br>
I'm not pregnant yet, (OR, I don't know I am... ha), but I have had these questions and figured there's gotta be someone else out there with them.<br><br>
I have scolosis, a curve AND twist in my spine. I usually can ONLY sleep on my stomach. I can't fall asleep on my side and I have to be like seriously wiped out to fall asleep on my back. I know when I get pregnant I'll be so exhausted and probably fall asleep easily, but at what point of your pregnancy should you not sleep on your stomach?<br><br>
Also, do any of you women have scolosis, do any of you have what i have (both curve and twist)? I'm wondering what full term will be like for me. Once I am pregnant, I will share with my aunt and ask her how it was (her and I share sooooo many of the same genes).<br><br>
Thank you very much for any input!<br><br>
Julie

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I have scoliosis, i have a curve in my lower back (like, my hips are tilted, so before my first pregnancy i was very concerned about this) but not a twist that i know of..<br><br>
my first pregnancy was fine.. my 2nd pregnancy i started having hip pain on one side.. its pretty bad this time too and was in between.. i see a chiropractor for it and it helps but it still hurts .. it hurts to sleep on my side, sleeping on my back is fine - though i slept on my stomach before i got pregnant that got uncomfortable quickly .. i have slept on my back until very late in my pregnancies though (and you're not technically suppose to do that either) and it has been fine.. i highly recommend seeing a chiropractor during your pregnancy (and before!) the fact that my hips are tilted seemed/seems to make round ligament pain worse for me and it also affects the baby's position..also, i don't know if this is typical but most of my back pain due to pregnancy has occurred int he first 6 months after the pregnancy..

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Yep, curve and twist here. I still manage (at about 13 weeks) to sleep mostly on my tummy. I am canted a little over to the side. Extra pillows are good for me; I can prop up my top leg and get more of a turn over to my stomach. Ultimately, it's going to be a matter of experimentation, though, to find out what works for you, but I <i>will</i> say I've slept like this in pretty much every pregnancy. Getting pregnant didn't change my sleeping positions much at all.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I wish I had a ton of time to share my stories.<br><br>
The short of it, it was very hard on me the second pregnancy, the first was a tad easier. With subsequent pregnancies your spine can and will slip into a larger curve studies are finally being done and are showing this. (happened to me) Sleeping was complicated both pregnancies and I did at times sleep in our big chair and a half, propped up on pillows with my first near the end. In my second pregnancy I dealt with extreme pain and had to have PT and pain management to cope. I had a 35 degree curve before I got pregnant with my first and after my second son I was a 40 degrees. I dealt with weakness after both my kids were born, and even threw out my back entirely when ds2 was a month old. Ended up on the floor on a mattress because it's where I landed that night.<br><br><br>
But I am pregnant again but am post op from my fusion. I was a 51 degree curve at time of my surgery and ds2 was 2 and a half years old. If you would like to know anything else or have questions feel free to ask away.<br><br>
I wish you the very best of luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts