Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 yr old wants to buy a scooter.She is very tall for her age and not exactly fearless on wheels.Are there 3 wheeled scooters for larger children?Any scooter recommendations?

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
12,438 Posts
At 5, I'd get her a regular Razor Scooter. Our dd got one at 4, and she's fine. she's 5 now and an use the brake and everything.

I would not recommend a 3 wheel scooter if she likes speed because they are usually slow.

Just make sure she wears a helmet while riding.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Get a two wheeled razor. My kids aren't fearless on wheels either and my 6 yr old still has training wheels. My dd2 has been scooting on a 2 wheeled scooter since she was 4 or 5, though. They catch on pretty quick and it's very low to the ground so that the danger of falling is very slight if they're going slow. A two wheeled scooter will help with balance, too, for riding a bike. I really really really wouldn't get a 3 wheeled one. You'll use it maybe for the summer and then she will have outgrown it. A 2 wheeled one will last much longer, help her gain confidence, and balance skills.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Yeah, I agree with the PP's. Get a 2-wheeled one. There's no danger of tipping over while your kid is still learning to balance, because she can just put her foot down. And if she's the cautious type (like my DD), at first she can spend most of her time pushing slowly with one foot instead of gliding.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok,2 wheeled it is!My daughter could definitely use some help learning to balance.So,I see how it makes way more sense to get the 2 wheeled one.Thanks for the help.

Any opinions on ones with big wheels like these? Can you tell that I've never been on a scooter?
We tried to go check out some scooters today but they were all either boxed up or tied down.Which I can understand.

·
Premium Member
12,438 Posts
I'd go with the razor scooter first -- they're easier to get started on, lower to the ground and much more adjustable. The one you linked to has a handbrake, that I think most 5 year olds would find difficult.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Another ditto on the Razor scooter. Both my 7yo DS and 4.5yo DD have them and they love them. They just got to bring them out within the last 2 weeks (had to wait for all the sidewalks to clear of snow and ice) and they're already ripping around on them like old pros. They're also quite fun for mom... I was using DS's scooter yesterday and DD and I were racing up and down the sidewalk.
It's really helped them with their bike riding too. They both just learned to ride without training wheels last fall and were still quite shaky balance-wise on the bikes. I've noticed since they've started using their scooters, their balance on their bikes has improved a lot.

·
Registered
8,746 Posts
The razors are nice if you have a smooth place to ride. But the big bike tire type wheels are better for going over the cracks in the sidewalks. We have this: http://www.amazon.com/Go-Ped-Grow-Pe...0040345&sr=1-3 but the handles can't be adjusted so it was a bit big for ds when we got it (he was a 50% height 5 yo at the time). I'm sure we paid less than this price, as well! He didn't really take to it... He just really likes bikes, best.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I want to offer a scooter to my son for his 5th birthday. We will be celebrating his birthday on October 7, so I am wondering what type (electric or not) and brand of scooter I should buy. My colleague Mathilda suggested that I buy a besrey brand scooter, does anyone know the brand? Have you ever bought it for your child? Please I need your suggestions as I need to prepare her gift as soon as possible. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts