Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the death penalty... It was just announced 5 minutes ago...

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the case against him entirely circumstantial? I know there was a lot of evidence, but all circumstantial, right?

It seems like for a personality like his, life in jail would be worse than death.

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
I always thought it was considered in poor taste to celebrate the death of anyone.... celebrating the state sanctioned murder of someone, well..... hmmmmm....... maybe that's socially acceptable now, I don't know. Or maybe I'm just old-fashioned.....

But i'm not posting only for the opportunity to be a cow, I'm just wondering if anyone has a good link or two that gives a decent outline of the story & the case... I'm cheating today.....
too short on time to trawl thru the google responses...... TIA.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I hope he does die a "natural" death in prison. I hope What he has done ( since i really do believe he did kill his wife) haunts him for the rest of his life....There is no sympathy in my heart for this calous and sef-centered jerk.
Laura

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Jenna~
From what I've read the death penalty in CA isn't *really* a death penalty....they usually never get around to actually killing them. Most likely he will die a natural death in prison.
I have stood outside San Quentin in vigil as people have been killed. It does happen.

Not surprised but still completely opposed to the death penalty and sickened by people celebrating it. Mrs. Peterson and her child are still dead no matter what happens to him.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I have to admit that I am tore up about this whole thing. You see, once upon a time I was for the death penalty. Then I learned more about racism and the chances of people who are innocent being killed. I read about the fact of it being less expensive to society for them to get life with no possibility of prorole. I became against the death penalty.

But then I read about things like these killings and it seems so natural to want him to die and not in the pain free way that they will do it. It is so easy to hate him and think that he is the lowest of the low. Less than human? If he did it, and I guess that technically he has been found guilty, then he did what I consider to be the worse thing a person can do. He murdered his own son. His baby. He murdered the woman carrying that baby. Someone that he promised to love and protect. It seems to me 100x's worse about the baby. Maybe it is bacause I am mother, but not a husband so I can't completely compare to myself.

It is so hard. When does justice became blind fury in our hearts? Does anyone else feel this conflict? I am trying to remember the words of one of our Buddhist sisters here at mothering that said she is trying to feel only compassion and to not pollute her heart with hate (paraphasing here) Does anyone know who I am talking about? I could use her loving words again.

sorry for the ramble.

V.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'm not going to get into the death penalty debate - I think that he killed them and I think he should pay. That said - I went to the cour ttv site linked here and it made me ill ( I feel that way about the way they play stuff up on TV too) - I know it may just be me but It just seemed tacky ( the best word I can come up with at the moment).

I appreciate being able to get information about a case that I would need to or want to know about but... I Don't know it just seemed like the next link down might be selling commemorative t-shirts or signed 8x10's kwim?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiemum
I always thought it was considered in poor taste to celebrate the death of anyone.... celebrating the state sanctioned murder of someone, well..... hmmmmm....... maybe that's socially acceptable now, I don't know. Or maybe I'm just old-fashioned.....
I agree with you. I think it's sick.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Like I said on the other thread...
(BTW - I don't think I've ever been part of a thread that got closed before :LOL)

Our job is not to judge - a jury of his peers did that already.

I believe our job is to make the world a BETTER place now from when we got here. Again... Adding another rotting corpse to the pile doesn't make the world any better. It's not just about Scott Peterson - it's about YOU & ME and the world we grow/destroy through our actions (including the words we type into the Internet) and how we treat/teach our children. Two wrongs still don't make a right & just never will.

I'd rather move forward and talk about growth and healing...

I wanna know where all the anger is coming from in some of our angry Mamas?

I'd bet dollars to donuts it's because of past hurts that have been hurled at us. Unfortunately, nobody yet gets to be an adult without suffering some childhood/young adult trauma. We need to support each other in our growth and healing and challenge each other to look into our feelings - deep down - to find the roots and dig up the poison and dump it/burn it/let it go somehow. Love is still the answer and peace is the road to getting there. Let's walk down THAT road together - lets find our peace & love & light rather than wallowing in pain and hurt and frustration.

I think that would be a better use of our time and energy than blaming the evil commited by Scott Peterson for our feelings.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Like I said...

Quote:
"He lost his wife and his child - it didn't seem to faze him," said juror Steve Cardosi. "And while that was going on ... he is romancing a girlfriend. That doesn't make sense to me. At all."
--From USAtoday

Capital punishment for adultery. Or for lying. Or for lack of the emotion that people are expecting. or for being an a$$. But in any case. None of the jurors mention EVIDENCE. Doesn't that bother anyone? Even people who support the death penalty?

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiemum

The whole story is sad, I say let him rot in prison. Life on death row is way more expensive to the taxpayer then life in prison. Then again, I'm against the death penalty.

Quote:
Financial costs to taxpayers of capital punishment is several times that of keeping someone in prison for life. Most people don't realize that carrying out one death sentence costs 2-5 times more that keeping that same criminal in prison for the rest of his life. How can this be? It has to do with the endless appeals, additional required procedures, and legal wrangling that drag the process out. It's not unusual for a prisoner to be on death row for 15-20 years. Judges, attorneys, court reporters, clerks, and court facilities all require a substantial investment by the taxpayers. Do we really have the resources to waste?

http://www.balancedpolitics.org/death_penalty.htm

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.