Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD, 10 months, has always been a sweet little nurser. Sure, she pops off if something interesting is going on behind her, or pinches a bit, but it has never been a real issue.

In the past couple of days though, she has gotten FIERCE. She is scratching and pinching and I'm literally raw all over my breasts, stomach, side, neck... She is just becoming nutty! If I pop her off while verbally telling her to not scratch, it doesn't work, because not only does she look like the world ended when I take her off, but she starts up immediately upon getting the breast back. If I restrain her hands, she screams bloody murder and refuses to suck.

I've also tried and failed with:

- nursing necklace or her flower chain or her lovey to hold on to instead
- putting a cloth (or shirt) between her hands and skin
- letting her scratch my arm or hand (it doesn't hurt there)
- covering her hands with mittens/socks

I'm at a loss! What else can I try? I look and feel like I fell in a thorn-bush, but she will.not.nurse suddenly without scratching me!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I feel for you and wish I had a solution. My LO likes to snap the strap on my bra maybe you can try and direct toward that activity?

Hopefully someone will have some good suggestions

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
BTDT - ugh... try wearing something that covers those areas. Or try playing with her free hand while she nurses. Or... my free nipple is the vulnerable one, so as I am holding my nursing breast, my forearm is always covering the exposed nipple. Hang in there!

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
My 10 month old son is doing the same thing. Now I only wear nursing tank tops, so I can expose the breast without my ribs being attacked. AND, I hold the nursing breast with my opposite hand, the old "c" hold from early nursing days, just to cover the exposed parts of the nipple. AND, I drape a really interesting fabric (spangled, ribboned) over my non-nursing shoulder and tickle his cheek with it so he has to brush it away and get his hand interested in that. AND I keep the nail clippers constantly at my side!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.