Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
972 Posts
At first I felt it wasn't applicable to a child my DD's age. (16 months at the time.) I wasn't having a problem screaming at her anyway-- but I knew that when she got to a difficult stage, I might become a screamer, so I brought the book as a preventative. After I got further into the book it became clear that it was mostly about parental/adult self-control, more than anything else. In other words, you know how people say "If you do X you're gonna make me do Y?" As if the other person had your remote control, and was pushing your buttons? It was about taking the remote control back so you could stop saying others were pushing your buttons. It's great for that. And that type of thinking isn't only great for parenting-- it's great for marriage and other interrelationships with people. My husband has just about finished reading it, and he has enjoyed it and changed because of it too. I'm about to read it a second time, so I can cement some of the ideas and practices in my head. If you aren't sure it's for you, check out the Screamfree website and you can preview some of the stuff.

Faith

1 - 2 of 2 Posts