Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Screech, scream, shreak, all day long that's what I hear coming from my son! Since about 6 months, but as his birthday nears it's getting more frequent, louder (ear piercing, screams like a B-movie scream queen
). I've tried ignoring it, I've tried walking away from him, removing him from the room. My dh just gets frustrated and yells back at him (yeah, that really helps
: ) In the grocery store I've actually plugged him with his pacifier!

Most of the time I ignore it, but it's hard to be consistent when we're in public and it affects other people. I'm not kidding when I say those screams are really ear piercing ... my ears are ringing within a couple hours of waking up!
And to make matters worse, he screams for EVERYTHING! Happy, sad, frustrated, hungry, pleased, excited, mad ... you name it, he has a scream, screech, shreak for it.
So, anybody been in my shoes? Any advice?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
My dd went through a short period of that, thankfully it ended after a short while. A 16mo girl at playgroup loves to scream and it's ear pinching like that. I can't really think of anything except trying to distract them.

This post isn't really helpful, I just wanted to sympathize!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I helped my kids find their little voice. I would say in a very quiet whisper "Where's your little voice" And keep talking to them like that and asking them to show me a little voice. They would start to coo and whisper like me.

If Jayden screams it is because he wants my attention RIGHT NOW. He is trying to communicate something to me. So we start to go through a list of things he might be asking about. We do some baby signs so he can show me a sign for certain things like he wants to nurse, eat food, be picked up, get a clean diaper, read a book.

Try to figure out what the communication is and then teach a new way to communicate the need, or desire.

Also, all babies like people have different personalities. Some are quiet personalities and some are very loud. You can't change who you are, you just have to figure out how to make what you have work well for you. Without loud personalities we would not have entertainers, politicians, lawyers, preachers, ect. HTH

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice.... we'll keep working on it.

In the meantime, today in Wal-Mart, whilst the little one was "doing his thing" (and it was the get me outta here screech, not the least bit happy) another woman came over and remarked how adorable he was!
:

She then went on to say that her very 1st grandchild was born 3 days ago and she hoped he would be as "exuberant" as my child.

Some people just know what to say!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.