Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hello and thank you.  We need some advice for our 8 month old son.  He has picked up a behavior that is both a concern and a frustration.  Caeden is a healthy, typically-developing baby who has learned to screech (very high-pitched scream).  It is loud enough that we keep earplugs around.  He definitely is loved and attended to constantly and carefully.  A few clues for us:  he does not screech when he is taking a bath, swinging with me on the porch, or nursing; however, there are many other times when he is getting 1-1 loving attention that he still does it.  I have tried alternative oral stimulation (he does not use a pacifier to suck, but will bite it like a frisbee), teethers, wet cloths, etc., none of which help.  He has four teeth, so I do not think this is a new response to teeth coming in.  Any suggestions would be very appreciated.  Thank you so much!</p>

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
My 7.5 month old screeches now too. It's a phase, I've seen it before in countless kids. I just don't acknowledge it like I do when she makes other noises. So if she laughs or coos or babbles and I say, "yes, that's your toy" or whatever I would say in response to her "talking," I don't do that with the screech. I just let her make the noise and don't encourage it.

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
<p>All mine have done it as well when they realize just how much noise they can make. They eventually stop. </p>

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
<p>Yup, it's normal for that age and most babies do it.  Just a phase.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts