Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've met with a really nice (professional) lady who is supposed to watch my daughter while I am at a couple hospital classes and in labor. She is fine with either staying here with my 2 yo or watching her up at the hospital, entertaining her in the waiting room, etc, depending on the situation. She strikes me as a kind and perfectly decent person, there's no red flags or anything. There's just one thing...I've never hired a sitter before and I am TERRIFIED. I don't know what people do anymore as far as screening or questions or whatever. My 2 yo has been with me or dad every day since birth, except 3 hours every Saturday morning when she goes to childcare at synagogue. The woman there is from a top notch nanny firm and has been through umpteen background checks, reference checks, etc. And my daughter always does FINE there, she loves it, she is happy to see us when we come get her but she doesn't cry or put up a fuss or anything, she just likes playing and is alright.

How do people do this? I am a nervous wreck. I think it mostly has to do with how shaken up I am by plans for this birth changing so suddenly and my general stress levels. Rationally I know that if the person is a professional with references and doesn't strike me as off in any way, things are almost certain to be fine. But my irrational mind is completely ruling me right now and I am freaked! How do you handle this anxiety?

· Banned
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We thought about that! We should ask, but I'm reluctant because I am fairly certain her rates are far beyond what we could afford (like I said she's from a top agency) and she's soooo busy I doubt she'd be able to be "on call" for a labor at any hour of the day or night. We may still ask though.

· Registered
641 Posts
I just wanted to say don't be too hard on yourself. My dd is only 12.5 months and I'm not even fertile yet, not to mention pregnant! And I'm already worried about what to do with her when I'm in labor. If she does OK at synagogue I bet she'll be fine with whoever you choose. I agree with the PP to have the sitter over to your house for a couple of hours to see how they do together.

· Banned
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I think that would really put my mind at ease to kind of spy and see that they are playing well and that my daughter isn't completely taxing the emotional resources of the sitter, lol, she can be very stubborn. So we will have to work out something like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.