Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Truefit Premiere and it's installed with LATCH now because the seatbelt plastic bump was in the way and somehow we got it installed tighter with latch.<br><br>
But if I use it in rental cars or others cars, does the lock-off mean you can use it for seat belts that don't retract and click? I heard someone else say that, but I didn't know that. You still do the retract and click thing plus the lockoffs for cars that can though, right?<br><br>
The other reason I didn't do a seatbelt install is that it didn't seem to fit BOTH seatbelt threads well through the lockoffs. What was I doing wrong?<br><br>
I posted on another thread, but I really can't imagine traveling with this seat. Seems like such a huge PITA.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
You can absolutely use it with non-locking seatbelts. You CAN lock the seatbelts (if they lock) but you don't have to in newer cars. Sometimes leaving the seatbelt unlocked (using the lockoffs only) can prevent the carseat from 'tilting' due to the shoulder belt. I generally don't lock seatbelts for the TrueFit, I just use the built in lockoffs.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I believe you HAVE to use the lockoffs for a true fit seatbelt install. And you don't lock the seatbelt, even if it does lock. That's the lockoffs job.<br><br>
But, fwiw, all rental cars should be new enough to have LATCH. So it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and the lockoffs work with both seat belt straps together? I didn't realize you don't use the locking belt.<br><br>
I should say instead of rental cars I mean more taxis and car services. Especially when I'm traveling internationally I've found many not to have latch or locking belts, but we tend to travel to pretty remote places. Hence the big carseat being a big pain!

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
You have to use the lock offs with ALL installs with the truefit (ie. the latch straps should be locked too)<br><br>
On your car you can break the little plastic button off - ours got broke by accident, it's not a big deal.<br><br>
Yes, you thread both parts of the seat belt through the lockoffs. It's scary to do the first time, it feels like you are going to break the lock off, but it's tough, just make sure that both parts of the seatbelt are lined up before you start tightening.<br><br>
The lock offs take the place of locking the seatbelt, so yes you can use it if the seatbelts don't lock. It takes the place of a convential locking clip. It helps keep the car seat from tipping as many do when locked rf'ing too.<br><br>
For travelling, look into a luggage cart. Then you can strap the carseat to the cart and use it as a stroller through the airport.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts