Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the night of December 10th I started having irregular contractions that lead to nowhere. I went to bed and woke up on the morning of the 11th at 7:30am having contractions that were 15-20 minutes apart for several hours until they died off altogether around 2:30pm. Frustrated I decided to try cleaning up the house, and then taking the kids on a walk to the park after that. Neither of those things did anything to bring even one contraction back! So I thought, hey I woke up with them this morning, maybe if I go take a nap I'll wake up with them again; and that's exactly what happened. I laid down with my 2 year old to take a nap, and woke up around 6pm with contractions that started out at 15 minutes apart, then quickly moved down to 10 and then 5 minutes apart. I honestly wasn't sure I was in real labor, I wasn't having any other signs. I didn't lose any mucus or blood, or anything at all other than some pretty mild/moderate contractions on a regular basis.

Around 8:30pm I texted my husband and told him he should probably just take the rest of the night off and come home at break at 9pm. Even if this wasn't the real thing, it was worth him coming home for the evening. He got home at 9, and I continued to have contractions, told him I didn't want to set up the pool, or bother anyone to come get the kids because I still didn't know if this was it. Around 10pm I told him to start setting up the pool, so he blew it up, and immediately the kids wanted to jump in and start playing. Then he took the hose out and it was just a huge hassle because the water didn't want to fill right. Frustrated and still having pretty close contractions, I said "Screw the pool, just go fill the tub." There was about an inch of water in the pool and the kids hopped in and threw their toys in and played for probably close to an hour or so while I labored in the bathtub. My 2 year old was kind of freaking out for about 15 minutes while I was in the tub, just normal kid stuff, and it made my contractions SO BAD, any time he cried it made me cry and have worse contractions. Hubby told me he wanted to call someone to pick the kids up, but at the moment I couldn't bare having my 2 year old leave, and I told him that I'd never forgive him if he called someone haha. But as soon as my son stopped freaking out I was much better. Also around halfway through my bath a wave of sleepiness hit me, I was telling my husband I just wanted to go to sleep so badly! But I knew I wouldn't be going to sleep again without a baby in my arms this time!

I got out of the bath around 11pm. The contractions intensified a lot once I got out of the tub. At that point I was mainly hanging over my kitchen counter/bar area, gripping the edge on the other side and holding myself up for leverage. I checked myself and felt the baby's head about an inch or two away from the entrance. I remember my husband telling me it was 11:11 and I "made a wish" that I'd have my baby within the next hour. I went back and forth between the kitchen counter, and being hands and knees on my bed for the next hour or so. I lost track of time after that point. At some point, I was stuck on my bed, my body involuntarily pushing and my husband ran and grabbed the camera. I heard him taking pictures, telling me I was crowning, that he was in the sac, and his face was coming out towards hubby (anterior birth yay). My body kept pushing, and I felt baby being "pulled" back in several times. Mike told me that he was in the sac just like our last baby. (He later told me that the sac was so tight over his face that it looked like a burglars face smashed in pantyhose lol!) He said I was really close. I birthed the head, and asked him if it was out completely, he said yes. Then I felt the body come out quickly with the next "push" feeling. I buried my face in the pillows and let hubby deal with getting him out of the sac and everything. I heard him say the cord was wrapped 3 times around his neck. I asked him to hand the baby to me, after he unraveled him, and he did, and I sat up with him in bed. Hubby said baby was born at 12:50am, and went to get the kids out of the livingroom to come meet their new brother. My 4 year old daughter was so excited to see him, of course. My 2 year old son however had a terribly sad expression on his face, and asked (in his own little language) if the baby had hurt me. We quickly reassured him that everything was fine, that mama and baby were happy and okay, and he was pleased to come over and visit at that point. There was a weird cord around my leg, and I asked Mike to get it off me, it was attached to the baby's cord at one end, and attached to the sac at the other. So he cut it, and placed everything in the blue bucket I had bought just for this purpose.

I held the baby for an hour, just chatting with hubby as he went in and out of the room dealing with the kids, he started calling people (at 1am! lol) to tell them. And about an hour later I finally decided to try and push the placenta out, and it was just in the birth canal so that took hardly any effort. Along with an initial gush of blood. Sat about 30 more minutes and then Mike clamped and cut the cord. I finally decided to get out of bed, and go sit in the livingroom so he could clean the mess and changed the sheets out, since we had unexpectedly birthed on the bed. My 2 year old was fast asleep on the couch by now, he had *just* enough energy in him to stay up to greet his brother into the world so late into the night. I finally got baby to latch a couple hours after birth and he had a great first nursing session. I watched Mike clean everything up pretty decently and then we all went to bed! It was simply amazing. Mike kept telling me (and is still telling me) how proud of me, and us, that he is. I totally agree. This birth was even better than my last UC, and I was worried that nothing could top that! In the words of my husband, "Once he came out, I just felt a peace come over the whole house. Like we were complete."

Weighed/measured baby the next day, he was 6lb 2oz, 18 inches long.
Named Mercury Indigo on day 2.

edit:cross posted in unassisted part of the forum

·
Registered
161 Posts
What a beautiful birth. Thank you for sharing the story. And wow, he's got a beautiful name too. Congratulations to all of you!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Awesome story! Congrats!
I always wanted a baby born in the caul, your lucky :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing your story! It is wonderful! And you gave such a unique and interesting name to your baby:) Wish you all the best!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts