Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living succesful pregnancies mentioned.

Hello ladies. I'm so sorry we have all found our way here.

My history is long and arduous. Primary and secondary infertility peppered with several pregnancy losses.

June 1996 - chemical pregnancy
August 1998 - delivered 35 weeker induced for IUGR/oligohydramnios. Developed PIH during induction (which took 3 days!).
March 2000 - delivered 41 weeker PIH, possible late onset IUGR
March 2003 - lost "blighted" twins at 10 and 11 weeks. Hemhorraged with second twin and had to be rushed to ER for emergency d&c
June 2003 - chemical pregnancy
June 2005 - chemical pregnancy
March 2006 - really complicated miscarriage at 12 weeks (baby develped no further than yolk sac and fetal pole - it's a really long bizarre story) followed by d&c for retained placenta

At this point OB suspects thrombophilia but my miscarriage panel and karyotype all come back normal. I start extra folic acid and baby aspirin.
January 7, 2008 - RAINBOW BABY induced 38 weeks PIH

On January 7, 2010 (yes, my daughter's birthday) we went in for my routine OB appointment at 17.3 weeks and the doctor couldn't find a heart beat. Sonogram confirmed the baby had died very recently. All blood tests (HCG, progesterone, and routine prenatal labs) had been perfect and baby measured perfectly right up till birth. We had just seen him 4 weeks before active and vigorous. I went in the following morning to be induced. Caleb Enoch was born perfectly formed weighing 4.9 ounces and 8.6 inches long.

The delivering doctor (not mine) and the nurse felt certain that his death was caused by a cord accident (double nuchal cord, a loop around his belly, and evidence his leg was caught up in it as well). However my own doctor seems quite certain it was NOT related to the cord and that it is a thrombophilia in me. She says that babies often get wrapped up in their cords like that after death because they are dangling and mom is still moving. This doesn't make sense to me though because a) my placenta was very low lying so he wasn't dangling at all and b) it seems like his arms would have been inside the loops. We know what we saw and we know what the delivering doctor said. Caleb had a white - snow white - line around his neck where the cord had been. His cord also appears to not have any spiraling/twisting to it which I've read does make it more fragile. I have not yet gotten any of the reports back from the hospital (sonogram report, TORCH test, doctor's written report, karyotype, pathology from the placenta, or test done on cord.

I would really like to hear your experiences - particularly what your baby's cord looked like and in babies who died before birth if they were born wrapped in their cord. Caleb was so wrapped up they couldn't move him off the bed until it was cut.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Im so sorry.

I delvered at just shy of 20 weeks. There was a cord prolapse so dh, mw, and myself visualized about 7 inches of cord prebirth and then the entire thing after birth. The cause of the preterm birth was pprom. There was very little twists to the cord. It didn't look like a term cord. As it was explained to me, the baby hasn't had enough big movements to really get those twists yet.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I lost my little girl at 17 weeks... We never got any answers.

I am SO sorry for your loss.

Caleb

Peace and healing to you~

·
Registered
989 Posts
I lost my twins at 22 weeks. I was told that there was no reason for it. That it was just "one of those terrible things". I did have an IUD when I became pregnant that they were never able to remove without harming the pregnancy. I'm told that "wasn't the issue". But...I'll never know. I miss my babies.

·
Registered
992 Posts
My loss story sounds a lot like yours. I went in for a routine eighteen week check and they were unable to find a heartbeat and confirmed Lily had passed after an ultrasound. On the ultrasound they found that she'd been gone for about two weeks and her head was a bit misshapen but couldn't find any real reason for demise.

I delivered her two days later (2.3 oz and 6 inches long) and they found her cord was wrapped twice around her neck and twice upon itself. The malformation in her head was a confirmed brain bleed caused by the cord accident.

I wish I could tell you what her cord looked like, but I didn't see her until after they removed it and never saw the cord. It didn't even occur to me at the time. Other than the bleed in her brain she was absolutely perfect.

Mama. I'm so sorry this happened.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My early second trimester baby's cord was spiraled/twisted looking like a full-term cord, only obviously much smaller (like a piece of yarn). It was not wrapped around him at all (I'm not sure when exactly he died, but I think it was probably couple of days before he was born at 14w5d). My memory is not quite clear on it actually--the baby was born and then I felt something else come out and looked and saw the cord hanging out. It then kind of snapped and fell down and was followed by a large amount of blood clots. My memory is that when I first saw the baby there was no cord attached and then the cord followed as the next "bloop," but then I think about how it was hanging down straight to the baby and I think I probably just didn't see it when I first saw the baby. It is one point of confusion for me about the whole thing!

I'm so sorry that your little Caleb died
(((hugs)))

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickiswing View Post
My loss story sounds a lot like yours. I went in for a routine eighteen week check and they were unable to find a heartbeat and confirmed Lily had passed after an ultrasound. On the ultrasound they found that she'd been gone for about two weeks and her head was a bit misshapen but couldn't find any real reason for demise.

I delivered her two days later (2.3 oz and 6 inches long) and they found her cord was wrapped twice around her neck and twice upon itself. The malformation in her head was a confirmed brain bleed caused by the cord accident.

I wish I could tell you what her cord looked like, but I didn't see her until after they removed it and never saw the cord. It didn't even occur to me at the time. Other than the bleed in her brain she was absolutely perfect.

Mama. I'm so sorry this happened.
That's interesting - Caleb was wrapped up so tightly in his cord that he was in a ball at the bottom of my uterus (placenta was low lying) so we couldn't see much on the US. But when he was born he had so little cord left they couldn't move him until they cut the cord. His head was also very distorted with a lot of extra blood in it. I presumed most of it was from blood being trapped up there but a bleed in addition makes so much sense!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.