Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wonderful untapped market in my local area. My dh sells furniture at craft shows, so it would be no problem to "tag along" with him at them and offer some slings for sale. As far as insurance, we'll set the company up as an LLC for some protection.

But...what I can't decide is if it would be better to design my own slings (I'd pay local people to do the sewing) or to simply become a distributor for one of my favorite sling companies. Are there any pros/cons to these choices you can think of? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
my uneducated guess is this: carrying somebody else's slings would be easier to get started with (no deisgn, no redesign, no manufacture) but for that work, they get a share of the profit... usually, if you're willing to take on more of the effort, you get more of the returns.
I'm only supposing that applies to this product and situation

you'd need numbers to make a call on this.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I would say distribute - unless your slings are completely one of a kind, nothing like it out there. You're factoring in your time, materials, labor costs, etc ; you might find that your profit margins would be similar to purchasing them wholesale and marking them up. Manufacturing a product can be incredibly rewarding - but it also is a HUGE headache at times. Sometimes we mess up on our products and it has to be scrapped. Then the cost of more materials, as well as the extra time needed to make another product to take it's place - it just starts eating the profits up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.