Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi mamas.<br><br>
I am an MDC member of almost 3 years, a mom of 1 ds (26 months), and an academic. I'm working a book about law and politics of midwifery care and home birth. I currently live in Des Moines, Iowa, and I'm researching this topic in a variety of geographical areas - but I recently got a grant to be able to do interviews in Missouri and Iowa this summer.<br><br>
In states where homebirth midwifery is legal, I’d like to learn more about insurance requirements, licensing laws, political and legal obstacles to your practice, and other things that you feel are important in a discussion of the politics and law of homebirth midwifery. Where homebirth midwifery isn't legal (or has a tenuous legal status), I'd like to interview midwives about the legal barriers to their practice, as well as the ways they have tried to change the laws about homebirht midwifery care.<br><br>
If you are interested in perhaps being interviewed for this study, please PM me with your email address. Before you agree to an interview, we will discuss confidentiality, attribution of quotations, my timeline for the work, and any questions you have.<br><br>
And, if you're a mama in Iowa or Missouri who knows of a midwife I should include in my study, please please let me know!<br><br>
Thanks in advance!<br><br>
-Renee

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
check out pages 6 & 7 on the Iowa mamas thread!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
You won't get much response from practicing Missouri homebirth midwives because (1) they're very few and (2) they're practicing underground and could go to prison if prosecuted.<br><br>
There might be a few CNMs legally doing homebirth somewhere in the state, maybe in Springfield. I'm not familiar with that area.<br><br>
You can, however, talk to those of us who are working to change the laws in the state! Most of us are moms, but some of us aspire to be midwives. We're very busily working on legalizing CPMs right now. There are a few threads about it on here. You can also check <a href="http://www.friendsofmomidwives.org" target="_blank">www.friendsofmomidwives.org</a> .

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the whole prosecution problem. Not a laughing matter. I've gotten a few private responses from my post here, and they've all wanted to know how I plan to protect the midwives I interview -- I'd love to have the chance to talk to potentially interested interviewees about my research protocol, which holds their names/locations/practices in strictest confidentiality. I'm also happy to provide samples of my work, a list of publications, institutional affiliation, etc., to alleviate any fears about participation.<br><br>
Jessitron, thank you for the link to Friends of Missouri Midwives -- I'll be taking you up on your offer to to talk with people involved in the group (I'll PM you) -- my dad lives in Columbia, and I hope to make it down several times this summer, so perhaps we can get together.<br><br>
Please feel free, anyone, to pass my information along to midwives you think might be interested in meeting. Just PM me for me email address. Peace, Renee

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry if I missed the answer to this somewhere in this thread but, I am trying to help my sister find a midwife. She is interested in a VBAC and lives in SE Missouri (bordering Tennessee and Arkansas as well). I live in Texas and see from your thread that these state laws are extremely different than TX's.<br><br>
Can she have a VBAC in a birth center in any of these states?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts