Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am going to try ppk's recipe for seiten. how long does homemade seiten keep in fridge? what's the best way to freeze & how long will it keep in freezer? what's best way to defrost it? does freezing it change its texture or consistency?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've never frozen or defrosted mine, but the recipe I use (Sara Kramer's, from La Dolce Vegan) says it keeps 6 days in the fridge, 6 months in the freezer.

Maybe someone else can help with the freezing tips?

Holly

·
Registered
662 Posts
I only ever bake mine (which I'm assuming is the PPK one you are trying? The Seitan O Greatness?). I keep it in the fridge for no more than 4 days. To freeze it I cut my log into quarters (but do whatever suits you. 1/4 gives me a meal usually) and chuck it in a plastic bag and freeze it. I'd go with the 6 month rule. Mine usually only lasts about a fortnight anyway
It's too yummy.

Once it's defrosted I don't find any difference in the texture at all. Maybe a teeny bit wetter but not enough to make a difference in a recipe that I've found. To defrost I just chuck it on the bench and let it sit. Sometimes if I remember I chuck it in the fridge but most of the time it sits there till room temp and I've yet to get sick from it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.