Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to enroll my dd in a special needs day care, the wonder center, and I was going through a woman from the Greenville County disabilities and special needs board to help get her enrolled, thinking I could get a religious exemption for vaccinations before dd started. Well the woman helping me was under the impression that we weren’t vaxing because of medical reasons, so she said with a note from dd’s regular pediatrician we would have no problem getting in the wonder canter. After she talked with dd’s Dr and saw it was my choice not to vax then she informed me that the day care director said she could not be enrolled without at least some of her vaccinations. I told her we were going to get a religious exemption, but I had also mentioned to her before that we wanted to get dd the pertussis vax before she started daycare. She said the wonder canter did not accept religious exemptions, to which I replied, “But they accept medical exemptions?” Then the story changed to, “No the wonder center doesn’t accept medical or religious exemptions, you have to be vaccinated to go there.” This woman was completely pro vax, so I’m not sure if she was just trying to give me a hard time or if they really don’t accept exemptions. From what I’ve heard they have to accept your child if it’s medical or religious reasons. I intend to talk with the day care director about the whole situation as soon as I get all my ducks in a row here. I can’t seem to find the specific info online or anyone who knows what I need to know.<br><br>
First should I even get the pertussis shot for dd? My ds has had all his vaccinations up until now, which I intend to stop. He is 4. He has had no health problems. My dd, who is 20 months, has lots of problems and has only had the first hepB shot from the hospital. Because she is special needs, with an underdeveloped brain, I think she’s at higher risk for reaction if she gets the vax but what if she doesn’t? Is she at higher risk for getting whooping cough and would it be that much worse if she got it? She defiantly gets sick easily and frequently. This is the only thing I am really concerned about her getting , because I see how bad it is when dd gets a cold. She is already congested all the time and has problems coughing with secretions and a lack of muscle control in her tongue and throat. If she did catch the whooping cough I’m afraid it would be a very bad thing. I’m still weighing out the risks both ways.<br><br>
Second, if I selectively vax with that one and then I want to get a religious exemption in South Carolina can I still do that? Will they deny me that right because she has been selectively vaxed? I’ve read that it’s an all or none thing, but I was wondering if there was a way around that.<br><br>
If some of you other moms could help me out I’d really appreciate it. Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Imo, this is what you need to do - read this and follow the directions. You need to go down to the DHEC office and request the Certificate of Religious Exemption. According to the link I provided, once the certificate is notarized, it becomes a "legal certificate" (of immunization) <span style="text-decoration:underline;">and should be recognized by any school (daycare).</span><br><br>
I'd then call this woman back, tell her you acquired a certificate and tell her that the law entitles you to have it accepted. We can split hairs here as to the exact interpretation of the law, but it's obvious that the daycare does accept exemptions, but this person and/or the director of the daycare are choosing to give you a hard time. I'm sure that they feel you are at their mercy, grateful that your dd got in and will do anything to make sure you don't lose her spot. I'm sure that if you come across as confident and knowing your rights, there won't be a problem. Basically TELL them you are sending the certificate to the proper person and that'll be the end of it. It wouldn't hurt to also ask them if they are going to deny your child admission based on their religious discrimination.<br><br><a href="http://www.scdhec.net/health/mch/wcs/school/docs/FrequentlyAskedQuestions%20Final.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.scdhec.net/health/mch/wcs...ns%20Final.pdf</a><br><br>
Only you can make the decision of what is the worst of the two evils regarding the pertussis vax. All I know is that this vaccine is the most reactive and that I don't think you should make this decison based on the premise that there's 100% chance your child will get this illness if vaccinated and not get it IF vaccinated. You should also research the reported number of cases in your area, considering your child's chances of being exposed to pertussis, while if you vaccinate your child has 100% chance of exposure to what's in the vaccine. Did that make any sense?<br><br>
Good luck. Please let us know how things turn out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the link. I think you’re right, they do feel as if I’m at their mercy to have my dd accepted in the daycare. They keep cautioning me that I might loose her spot.<br><br>
Oh this is funny….before I got to talk to the woman about dd being vaccinated she left me a message that said…..”the wonder center is requiring full vaccination for acceptance, so if you could go get her vaccinations this week that’d be great, then I could call Angie (the daycare director) back and let her know she got them.” THIS WEEK! VACCINATIONS! Okay we haven’t got them up to this point and she’s wanting me to go out this week and get multiple vaccinations for my at the time 18 month old that had I might add just got over pneumonia. I don’t think so. LOL<br><br>
I am still confused as to whether dd can be selectively vaxed then acquire an exemption. I’m assuming she can, since you can “find religion” at any point in your life. I’ve decided to delay putting her in daycare so I can do some more research on which, if any vaccinations, I want her to have.<br><br>
My ds will be starting school this coming school year and has had all vaxes up until this point, (he’s 4). Will I be able to acquire a religious exemption for ds without getting one for dd, selectively vax her, then still be allowed to get an exemption for her as well? Or does ds even need one? I don’t know what is considered fully vaxed to be allowed to start school. Do they require you to get the boosters and such throughout school or is that optional?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
What you should do, imo, is submit the religious vaccination for your younger child and submit one for your older child the next time a vaccine or records are required. Then, go to a different doctor for any vaccinations you choose. Also, I'd check to see if your state has a vaccination registry. If they do, then you need to opt out. Otherwise, any current or future doctors can retrieve the information that your child has been vaccinated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts