Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know someone who wants to try to work a variety of odd jobs or start his own small business so he can have mornings free. He's thought about doing a couple of paper routes but that wouldn't bring in enough so he'd have to do something else as well. If I list what he's good at, maybe someone can think of some suggestions for me to give him.<br><br>
He has a Masters in Human Resources and about 10 years of management experience. He's good with computers--not a genius, but he's had a lot of computer training and worked with a bunch of different programs and systems. He's very good at fixing things and building things. He doesn't mind doing manual labor.<br><br>
Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
What about freelancing in HR? Here's one of the sites I look at for my freelance writing jobs - they have freelance HR projects as well. There are many other websites out there as well: <a href="http://www.ifreelance.com/Freelancers/Freelance-Human-Resource-Planners/" target="_blank">http://www.ifreelance.com/Freelancer...urce-Planners/</a>

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I work for an engineering firm, and quite a few guys telecommute, and/or have flexible hours so they can watch their kids.<br><br>
Guys bringing kids in the office are not that unusal. the one woman who has children never does, though.<br><br>
Perhaps he can talk to his employer.

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Consulting, perhaps he could offer his services to small non-profits that often have no HR dept. I would think with 10 years of managment experience he could roll that into some type of consulting, of course the only downside and as a consultant I know from experience is that he may not earn a steady income which depending on his needs might not work.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I wonder if he could work part-time for a temp agency, employed by the temp agency, not as a temp I mean. Like when I was a temp, there were a small number of people who gave the tests, did an interview with potential temps, made matches between companies and available temps. Seems like HR experience would be the perfect fit for that! Could also start an employment agency or head hunter firm probably, although building a business would take time.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
He could put himself out there as a handyman. Craigslist is a good place to advertise and he could put up flyers too. We've paid one neighbor decent money to do some work on our house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts