Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had info, a link, etc on typical self regulation behavior and skills in 3 yo kiddos? I know ds3 has problems in this area, but am trying to determine how big of an issue it is. My frame of reference is skewed, and everything I can find says "innappropriate as compared to other children same age/gender" which is not helpful to me. What is "normal"? Plus, most of the info puts heavy emphasis on self-soothing/sleep, etc, and that is just not where I want to go with him (adopted with major grief/transition issues for over a year, still some residual in some areas). Plus, his craniofacial stuff makes breathing at night more difficult, like a bad cold, so he sleeps poorly to begin with. And it can't be treated at this point.<br><br>
The tantrums and meltdowns are really wearing me thin, and I am trying to decide the next step. I have had 2 people with professional experience suggest spectrum type issues because of the severity of the meltdowns and dysregulation, but I don't think it fits for a variety of reasons. Sensory issues don't seem to fit--all my sensory tricks in the world don't seem to help him at all, and the triggers (when I can ID them) don't seems sensory. I suspect he has ADHD or similar, but then poor sleep can mimic that, so who knows? So, anyone know what a TD 3 yo looks like? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Have you got an evaluation? I seriously didn't think Travis' issues were sensory related, they were so different than Kincaid's, and when I tried all the stuff we learned with Kincaid, none of it helped at all. But now that we have figured out, with the help of his therapist, new tricks for him, we have seen a huge improvement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts