Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone here perform their own vaginal exams during labor? Is it safe? How can I learn to do it? Since we are 1 1/2 hours from the hospital I don't want to leave too late, but I would also like to get as far along as possible before we have to leave. Make any sense?

Also, I have been reading up about labor and everyone seems to have a different opinion about what to do if your water breaks and you aren't already in labor. I've heard everything from needing to deliver within 24 hours to just staying clean down there to prevent infection, indefinitely. I don't want to go to the hospital if it's not necessary, I'm afraid they might try to induce or intervene in some way. But I definitely don't want to put the baby at risk just b/c I don't want to go in. yk?

Thanks for any comments!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Lots of women have gone for extended periods without going to a hospital for broken waters. As long as you don't insert anything vaginally and generally use your intuition, you should be fine. If you start to feel "wierd", achy, feverish etc.... you may have an infection and should seek assistance ASAP. In an unhindered labor, MOST women will deliver within a couple of days of the water breaking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.