Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an electronics item to sell and am wondering about alternatives to the eBay route. I thought of just placing an ad on the local Craigslist.com...and this is a really basic question but I've never sold anything this way: What method of payment do I ask for (my item is worth at least $250 so not sure about cash though that would be fine)...Craigslist had this big warning that money orders could easily be faked. So in the ad, do I say, "Cash only"? Is that reasonable?

Also, since it's local I wouldn't be mailing it out...probably just meeting somebody. Don't want them coming to my house or vice versa, as they would be strangers. I don't mean to sound so clueless, but I AM clueless about selling etiquette!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Put cash only in the ad, I see it (and put it!) in them all the time. When someone emails you with interest, tell them you'd like to arrange a time to meet somewhere for them to pick the item up. I think the first couple of times I sold something I had the person come to my house, but other than that we always meet somewhere like a local shopping center.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I also only ask for cash. I do have them come to my house but when my dh is home. Better than meeting a stranger. I've been burned by them not showing up at the meeting place. No fun to wait for them for a while with a baby.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Just FYI I've found people to be really flaky about pickups on Craigslist. If the person doesn't call/email/pick up within a day of when they're supposed to, move on to the next offer. Don't be discouraged by this, just be aware (just got my full asking price of $60 for a crib set this morning
the baby would have to actually sleep in the crib for us to use that)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I've sold a bunch of stuff on Craigslist--love it!!! I've never had anyone offer anything but cash. I usually have them come to the house, which DH hates but I meet them on the front porch and have never had a problem. Of course I'm also selling baby stuff, so it's always women. Anyway, DH sold his old cell phone and we met the buyer at the mall. I've also bought from Craigslist and met someone at a gas station. I agree w/ the aggravation of no-shows, although I've had 100% good luck. The crazy thing is when I've given things away for free, I'd say 50% of the time they never show.
:

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
I've sold on Craigslist as well (larger pieces of furniture). I'd stick with only LOCAL buyers. That way, they can hand the cash over to you directly. I only went cash only as well.

Take good pictures and be very explicit about the condition of the item.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have actually needed to mail a few of the things I have sold. We have a paypal account. Anyone else can easily add money to it, so when we have sold something far away, the buyer has put money in our paypal account and then I have mailed the item.

Just to add that it can be done other ways.

Di

·
Registered
117 Posts
I could recommend the Trading Post here on MDC. : ) Something that will occasionally work too is that others will trade with you for something that you're family could use and then they receive something they can use. It works out so nicely many times. Just an idea!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.