Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past I've often seen that people on this board were selling their old used books and I never really paid any attention but now, I'm looking to sell our "extra" things in order to pay off my taxes so here I am...searching for the answer! How does one go about doing this?

Also, we're debating on either having a garage sale or selling some things through craigslist...any opinions on which would make us the most return? I've heard that you can get much better money for your used things on craigs list than garage sales...is this true across the board? I'm looking to sell some kitchenwares, clothing, furniture and such.

I'm also decluttering (two birds with one stone and all that) so there is a fair amount of stuff that's just going to be donated/freecycled as well...

Any and all suggestions/hints would be greatly appreciated!

· Premium Member
1,107 Posts
As far as books/movies go, I listed all of mine of half.com. Haven't made a ton, but every little bit helps, right?

· Registered
2,840 Posts
We have a place called "Deja Vu Discs" and dh and I have taken cds/movies there constantly when we're ready for a purge, they usually take about half of what we send them and we get about 150-400 back. Depending on the quality/need for the item

· Registered
1,106 Posts
I've never had luck with selling books on Craigslist. I have sold several baby items on there, however. It's free to list items on there, so I always try there first.

· Registered
591 Posts
My books did really well on half.com, I sold all but 2 that I had listed. Craigslist is good for furniture and big ticket items. A yardsale would be good for whatever is left over. Generally you will get more on Craigslist than a yardsale though. You can list your yardsale for free on Craigslist too. Any leftover kids clothes can be brought to a local consignment shop. Some will even pay out cash. Some newspapers even have a section where it is free to list items for sale if you're selling them for not much money.

· Registered
5,300 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiannaK View Post
as far as used books go -- how do you price them??
amazon offers guidance in the listing process. if the lowest used price on a book is $11.24, you post yours 1 cent less. resale works best on technical books, specialized craft books, olr very recent fiction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.