Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what causes high viscosity? I have been looking online and I havent really been able to find any info. I know the count was really low, only 3 million but it says that the high viscosity can effect the accuracy of the count. Gosh i just want to cry
:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Harmoni - so sorry about the pitsy count and viscosity.

I have no idea what causes viscosity issues, BUT guaifenessin (it might be spelled with two "f"s and one "s") is supposed to help thin things out a bit. So, get some robitussin or mucinex, or whatever else you can find with guaifenessin as the ONLY active ingredient and hook him up. Thankfully, this is one of those things that can be solved quite quickly, as opposed to supplements, etc which take the full three months to produce results (if they produce results).
I had no idea viscosity could affect counts - reassuring to know, I guess.
Good luck.
Katia.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ladies

I will definetly try the expectorant. I had been drinking it for awhile to thin my mucous, but I dont think my mucous is the problem now. I am hoping that the uriologist find something wrong next week so that way we can fix it. I read that the high viscosity could be a symptom of a prostate problem because the prostate is what makes the semen. We also think that he might have a vericocele. I just hope it is fixable.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Hi Harmoni -

This whole situation just sucks, and I feel sick about it. Having a baby is such a basic, almost instinctual, thing, and to have these big barriers in your way... anyway, I feel for you, and for me, and for all the other people on this board and elsewhere who fight for something that is meant to be "easy" to do. Arg.
Ok, first, the varicocele IS fixable. And, in fact, 50% of men who have it fixed end up concieving a child naturally (aka: without ART) post-correction. And 65% of men have increased sprem counts post-correction. So, be encouraged! And thank your lucky stars that you are able to see a urologist so quickly (we have to wait A YEAR!!!!).
Also, the expectorant is for your DH, not you. HE needs to take it to thin things out (aka: decrease his viscosity). Just to make that clear.
Best with everything, and do let us know what the urologist says. Or rather, let me know, as I am curious if it will give us any information before our appointment with a urologist next summer.
Katia.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Katia

I am hoping it is a vericocele or at least something fixable. I'm goign to wait ont he expectorant for him because I want to know what is causing the high viscosity first. I cant believe you have to wait a year to see a uriologist, that is crazy!!! I will definetly make sure to tell you what the uriologist tells us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.