Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to nightwean ds because he was one of those kids who wakes 1-2 times per hour all night long and had to have his numma to get back to sleep. I waited until 18 months to try to nightwean, but it didn't work so well. I was always afriad he was hungry.<br><br>
Ds is now 2.5 and We HAD improved a lot in that area. Sometimes he would even sleep 4 hours in a row and on an occasion even 7! It hasn't been going so well lately.<br><br>
What I had been doing is just having him nurse at two set times a night. Some time between 12-1am and then again at about 5am. This was working for a while. As long as it was after the "designated time" ds would be allowed to nurse. And after the 5am it was a free for all (as many times as he woke) until we got up.<br><br>
However, this doesn't seem to be working as well anymore. If ds happens to wake before the designated time for numma I try to tell him that it isn't time, but he WILL NOT go to sleep any other way. AAaaaaaaaaaah! (we cosleep)<br><br>
Last night we were awake from 2:30 until 4:30 with ds bawling in the bed (And me continually trying to comfort him) until I finally gave in.<br><br>
Is this "two times a night" thing just too confusing for 2.5 year old? Does it need to be all of nothing?<br><br>
It seemed to be working okay at first, but now....<br><br><br>
(should also add that we have just moved a couple weeks ago...new home and that he still doesn't have his two year molars)<br><br>
should I stick with the 2 x a night thing or give it up or just completely night wean?

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I would just completley nightwean. I didn't even do the 'when the sun comes up' thing with my 22 month old because I could just imagine him waking up 10 times wondering if it was light out yet. I did offer water (he never took it) but otherwise it was 'no. we'll nurse tomorrow". 3 nights and then sleeeeeeeep!<br><br>
btw - the link in your siggy is not to your chart. you need to go to 'homepage setup' in FF and get the URL from there.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I tried semi nightweaning at 20 months due to long term sleep deprivation, and it actually only made things worse - she was so anxious about it that she was waking about every 90 minutes for nearly two weeks.<br><br>
Once I "went and got nursing" on night after an hour of backrubbing and sobbing (after an unscheduled wakeup), Dd fell asleep immediately and slept for 8 hours - her longest stretch ever. Since then, she's been only waking to nurse once at night, which is doable for me, especially after our 2 week hell!<br><br>
I think when I try night weaning again, I'm just going to cut it out entirely. Nurse to sleep, then nursing when we wake up. It just makes more sense to me and I think it will be easier to explain than "This time, but not that time" in the middle of the night.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts