Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK) is the nation's most prominent global warming denier. He famously declared that global warming is "the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people." Now, he's taken the argument a step further. In an interview with Tulsa World, Inhofe compared people who believed global warming was a problem to Nazis:

In an interview, he heaped criticism on what he saw as the strategy used by those on the other side of the debate and offered a historical comparison.

"It kind of reminds . . . I could use the Third Reich, the big lie," Inhofe said.

"The big lie," is a propaganda technique Adolf Hitler attributed to Jews in his book Mein Kampf. It involves telling lies "so colossal" that no one would believe "others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously."

Inhofe added that every claim in An Inconvenient Truth "has been refuted scientifically." He also admitted he'd never seen the movie.

UPDATE: Inhofe also compared An Inconvenient Truth to Hitler's book, Mein Kampf.
http://thinkprogress.org/2006/07/24/inhofe-third-reich/

Wow.... and what about the big lie that got us into Iraq? Another spin off the Third Reich? What a horse's ass.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
You know, when I think about the collapse of America and all these fools dancing around like Rumplestilskin and saying all of the completely assinine and insulting stuff they say, i just have to laugh. I mean, I've done my share of head banging on walls, cursing and crying, but now I just have to laugh. Our nation in these times, it's kind of like some tragic comedy.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
All I can say is WTF?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
How can a dude from Oklahoma deny the existence of global warming while his state burns down around him? This last winter.... argh. Even my reactionary granddad is starting to think something's not right with the weather, YK?

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes
How can a dude from Oklahoma deny the existence of global warming while his state burns down around him? This last winter.... argh. Even my reactionary granddad is starting to think something's not right with the weather, YK?
No kidding, but even if you are one of those with your head in the sand and do not believe that global warming exists, to compare those who do to the The Third Reich is over the top. People who believe in global warming want to save the earth, and those of us living on it, not systematically carry out racial and ethnic genocide.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by artgoddess
No kidding, but even if you are one of those with your head in the sand and do not believe that global warming exists, to compare those who do to the The Third Reich is over the top.
Oh yeah. Definitely over-the-top and offensive. Though I gotta say, I have come to expect both "over-the-top" and offensive speech from our lovely OK senators.

So maybe I'm just jaded on that front and it didn't quite register the way it might have if I thought we were talking about sane and normal people.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
niiiiiiiiice....
argh you have to laugh or you would just rant for days...

goodness even if you don't agree with global warming; Nazis, yeh right.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well....since we're talking about nazis... might as well put this in the pot.

Quote:
UPDATE: Fox News corrected transcript of O'Reilly's false claim U.S. committed atrocities at Malmédy
Summary: Keith Olbermann noted that Bill O'Reilly falsely accused -- for the second time -- U.S. troops of committing the massacre at Malmédy, Belgium, during World War II. On Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor two days earlier, O'Reilly had attempted to compare the incident at Malmédy to the alleged killings in Haditha, Iraq. O'Reilly stated: "In Malmédy, as you know, U.S. forces captured SS forces who had their hands in the air and they were unarmed and they shot them down." In fact, 84 American bodies were found at Malmédy murdered by SS troops.
http://mediamatters.org/items/200606030002

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by artgoddess
People who believe in global warming want to save the earth, and those of us living on it, not systematically carry out racial and ethnic genocide.
Exactly...obviously this guy doesn't have a clue, or else he'd see that his name calling has absolutely no basis in reality whatsoever...

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Quote:
Godwin's Law (also Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is a mainstay of Internet culture, an adage formulated by Mike Godwin in 1990.

It states:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.[1]
Godwin observed that people had increasingly begun to compare anyone and anything they mildly disliked with Hitler and/or Fascism.

Godwin's Law does not dispute whether, in a particular instance, a reference or comparison to Hitler or the Nazis might be apt. It is precisely because such a reference or comparison may sometimes be appropriate, Godwin has argued[citation needed], that hyperbolic overuse of the Hitler/Nazi comparison should be avoided, as it robs the valid comparisons of their impact.

Although in one of its early forms Godwin's Law referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions[2], the law is now applied to any threaded online discussion: electronic mailing lists, message boards, chat rooms, and so on.
Can there be a corallary to this Law that would cover talk show hosts and congressmen? Therefore Imhofe has proven that Global Warming does exist.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.