Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Senator denies remark was racist

Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. George Allen denies a remark he made to describe an opponent's campaign worker was racially charged, saying in a statement that the media misunderstood his comments.

The Virginia Republican called S.R. Sidarth, a volunteer on Democrat Jim Webb's campaign, "Macaca" on two occasions during an event Friday in Breaks, a town in Virginia's southwest corner near the Kentucky border.

Macaca is a genus of monkeys, including the rhesus monkey. The senator's campaign said that Allen did not know that "Macaca" refer to monkeys.

Quote:
"This fellow here, over here with the yellow shirt, Macaca, or whatever his name is," said Allen, who at times pointed directly at the camera.

Quote:
"Let's give a welcome to Macaca, here," Allen said. "Welcome to America and the real world of Virginia."
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/08/16/allen.volunteer/

·
Registered
702 Posts
calls someone "Macaca" not knowing what a macaca is? That's just a bizarre defense. I guess short of admitting his racism, that's the only excuse he could reasonably come up with. What a
! I'm sure he thought he was being all clever and could fool everyone by not using the word monkey.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cielle
I can't wait to see the excuses that will roll in for this one.

Disgusting.
OKay...well I guess I will go first

Did he say why he used Macaca? I know as a nickname...but why that word? The article stated that he said it to an American of Indian decent.....would it be any different if he called a white person a Mecaca?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
What a guy acting on the most doltish behaviour. Why would you welcome someone to America when they're already living here and why on earth would you call someone some "random" crazy name like Macaca if you didn't know what it was?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly81
OKay...well I guess I will go first

Did he say why he used Macaca? I know as a nickname...but why that word? The article stated that he said it to an American of Indian decent.....would it be any different if he called a white person a Mecaca?
One thing to note is that Allen's mother is a French speaker of, I believe, Tunisian descent. Macaca is apparently a pretty standard Belgian/French slur for Africans. Like hell did he not know it was a slur.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Quote:
One thing to note is that Allen's mother is a French speaker of, I believe, Tunisian descent. Macaca is apparently a pretty standard Belgian/French slur for Africans. Like hell did he not know it was a slur.
Well, that makes a lot of sense.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.