Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was wondering...

Is there a point in time when you would *not* seek out medical treatment for pre-term labor if birth was imminent? I mean, if labor began right now, and there was no chance of stopping it, would you go to the hospital for all the of the life-saving stuff for the baby?

If not, why? And, when would you (what week)?

Sorry to be morbid, this is on my mind.

Amanda

· Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've no idea what I would actually *do* in this case. I'd love to say that I'd stay at home, birth my sweet baby, and give him or her all I could here. I, too, am comfortable with the notion of death being part of life. That's the plan until about 28 weeks. At that point, based on the prognosis, I'd allow life-saving stuff.

My husband is on board with this too.

Thanks to all of you for answering this hard question.

Amanda

· Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by amanda2b2
I think medical attention should be sought when you go into preterm labor no matter what. There are ways to stop it and there are to many things that could go wrong not just for the baby but for the mom as well. personally if I knew my baby was to small to live I would want it's short life to be as painles as possible and I would want him to die in my arms knowing he was loved.
Funny, we have the same reasons for different things. I'd stay home because I would want to have my baby with me, near me, not hooked up to a machine, etc.

Also, some labors cannot be stopped. For instance, I cannot use terbutaline at all. It is contraindicated with people with heart issues, which means me. So, for me, it would be a bolus IV and waiting. I can do hydration and waiting at home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.