Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of your cd'ed babes sensitive to certain materials in diapers and covers?

I've pretty much only ever used hemp diapers and wool covers on Zach. All good. Branched out to oc fitteds. fine still. BUT-everytime I try to put something on him like a pul cover or an aio or a pul pocket, he goes nuts. I mean nuts. He acts uncomfy and tries to take them off, and especially with covers bound like motherease ones, he gets all red and rubbed looking. So, I'm guessing the binding on the motherease covers irritates his skin. Ok, fine. Sold/selling those. But the aios? Must be the pul there b/c they aren't bound. Is this a real thing-that he could be sensitive to those materials or do you think he's just so used to hemp and cotton and wool that he doesn't like anything else? Your thoughts?

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Could be either. My dd gets all red when she's in PUL too long. It just doesn't breathe and her little bum sweats. It clears up right away when she's got wool or just a fitted or prefold on though. She's always been like this. She never SEEMS uncomfy or unhappy, it's just tht she gets red. Maybe your son just likes soft stuff on his bottom!

Meg

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
DS has a lot more rash in PUL - it simply doesn't breathe the way wool over cotton or hemp does. He has a bit of eczema on his knees, so MIL takes off his shorts (which are no where near his knees) and puts on PUL (which gives him diaper rash) when she watches him. Or she lets him go coverless but doesn't take off his shirt and it gets wet. Gotta love her.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My DS gets red if he's in PUL too long also. He's fine in wool though
I don't have much PUL, so it doesn't affect me too much.

He does get DARK red marks on his thighs & waist from the motherease airflow covers--weird that you mention that cover in particular. They're nowhere near too tight on his thighs/belly, so I don't know what causes it.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rosebuds
He does get DARK red marks on his thighs & waist from the motherease airflow covers--weird that you mention that cover in particular. They're nowhere near too tight on his thighs/belly, so I don't know what causes it.
mmmm hmmmm same here. Always has been that way with him and those covers, b/c like a dingaling, I keep buying them in each size hoping they'll work for him b/c I loved them so much for Ian.

"darn", guess I'll just have to suffer with more wool.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ohh, 4girls-I would seriously cry my eyeballs out if I couldn't have my beloved hemp!!

So it does sound like some kids can be sensitive to certain materials. Good 'nuf. No more attempts at pul or bound covers for us!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
My lil guy couldn't do PUL or anything unbreathable as a tiny babe, as a toddler he can do PUL for a short time. I really think the breathability is his issue, not the PUL itself. We used some of those cheapie gerber like pull-up covers when he was teensy, his bum would break out and he'd get sores where the elastic was. FOE always left big red marks on him, I'd put it on as loose as I could to keep the dipe from falling off, he'd still get marks.

Now he just wears fitteds at home, a mix of hemp and cotton stuff, covered with wool for bedtime. Depending on my mood, when we're out I'll either put some wool shorts on him or switch him to AIOs/pockets. For just outings he does fine in PUL, I'm not brave enough to keep him in it for a whole day though.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I have one son that can wear anything- nothing seems to bother him.

My other son is sooooo sensitive. He has to be changed really often. He can only wear either pockets or a dipe w/ wool or coverless. PUL covers give him a bad rash. I think since pocket diapers keep him dry he doesn't react to them. But regardless I have to change him as soon as he pees or he has a rash.

But wow, you should have seen his skin after I put a sposie on him!!! It was terribly red with bumps all over- 100x worse than with any cloth!

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
My kids are both sensitive to synthetic materials. All of my diapers are organic cotton and all of my covers are organic wool.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
ds wouln't wear fleece when he was a wee babe and he **** is sensitive to pul. he is so much more liekly to get a rash..i only use my old aio's when iam out of everything else these days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts