Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 21 month old ds saw a dentist recently and he said ds would need 4 caps and two or more fillings, and that since he was very terrified and fought the exam that he would need general anaesthesia, and that we would be separated from him. Is that always the case with GA? I read the dental archives, and it seemed fairly common, but I wasn't sure if it was universal. Is it?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
That is very normal. My dad is a ped. dent. and he doesn't allow parents in the OR when he's working on a child. BUT he is the only on in the area to allow parents back w/ their kids at his office. That shocks me that almost all other dental offices won't allow parents to be w/ their kids at all during their visit to the dentist. That would be scary to me (as a kid and a mom)!!

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
I wouldnt allow it but I have had bad experiences with a bad dentist as a child.(I never had general anesthesia though so I dont know about the rules with that). Is there someone else in the room besides just the dentist?

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick update, we found a dentist that does conscious sedation instead of general, and he does allow parents to be back there with the child, so we decided to go with him, even though he's a half hour drive away and isn't available until March. DH just doesn't trust strangers with our little guy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.