1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/edi...ool_and_state/

A quote from the article:

Quote:
Imagine how diverse and lively American education would be if it were liberated from government control. There would be schools of every description -- just as there are restaurants, websites, and clothing styles of every description.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
But then people might start thinking for themselves.
:

Edited now that I've read the article:

I really like this article. I have a friend who's always maintained that schools should be run by community, not by state or federal governments. It makes a lot of sense.

But in seriousness, it would be SO threatening to our cultural status quo. I can't imagine seeing it happen in the near future. The corporate machine relies on an unthinking, dumbed down public to keep our walmarts open (no offense to any walmart employees! I know very well you can be brilliant and work at walmart - that wasn't my point at all
: )

·
Registered
666 Posts
Don't imagine - it IS happening. Look at the demographics. Adults who were homeschooled are outbreeding everyone else like whoa. Populations who are truly dependant on schools as childcare are demanding charter schools and filling religious schools to bursting. The public school near-monopoly won't last another generation. I predict that we see a total, complete disappearance of the middle class from the public schools, and a demand from the historically disadvantaged groups who still remain in the system for some real education, which will be provided by the entrance of homeschool and classical school graduates into teaching and school administration. It's going to be really interesting.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by urklemama
Don't imagine - it IS happening. Look at the demographics. Adults who were homeschooled are outbreeding everyone else like whoa. Populations who are truly dependant on schools as childcare are demanding charter schools and filling religious schools to bursting. The public school near-monopoly won't last another generation. I predict that we see a total, complete disappearance of the middle class from the public schools, and a demand from the historically disadvantaged groups who still remain in the system for some real education, which will be provided by the entrance of homeschool and classical school graduates into teaching and school administration. It's going to be really interesting.

I agree that things are changing, but not in this way, and not as quickly as you predict. The idea that "adults who were homeschooled are outbreeding everyone else" relies on a stereotype of homeschoolers. I'm sure it's fitting in certain areas, but not across the board. While true that people are exiting the ps for religious/private schools, there are still plenty of people who believe in the *system* of public education. (You know the people who insist that we should all stay involved in the school and make it a better place?) Charter schools, while a choice, are still public schools, so that's a wash. I just don't see the mass exodus.

It's an interesting idea that homeschooled kids would enter teaching and school administration. I don't have any stats on this rate, but it doesn't seem to me that hsers would enter this field at any greater rate than ps kids would. I want to say that they'd avoid the system, but again, just my opinion. What makes you think that kids raised outside of the system would flock to it as adults?

I think what we'll see is more choice within the system, in the way of charter schools and vouchers. Some people will stay with ps for economic reasons, others will stay because they believe in the system. There will always be people who are interested in private schools and have the means to send their kids there, but the middle class people I know who do this, struggle to do it. It's still more of an upper-class thing.

I think we'll see small changes, but I don't think the ps system is going to go away--surely not within the next generation.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it would be nice (I don't think education is government's business), but I don't think that the "public" schools are going away anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by benjalo
But then people might start thinking for themselves.
:
We wouldn't want that.

I took an intro to education class last year. The textbook referred to American students as human capital, not once as children.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by urklemama
Excuse me for being hopeful, I'll try to go make myself dour.

MASS EXODUS. It's snowballing and it's past the point of no return. YEE HAW.
It seems we're all in agreement that government getting out of the business of schooling would be a good thing. I'd love to see it happen, I just disagree that it's going to happen to the extent that you believe it will.

I've no idea what you mean by your second line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts