Mothering Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ? for btdt moms. My guys are 5 months and are currently in seperate rooms because it seems they wake each other up. They don't seem to have any type of schedule that I can see, and will be up and down at different times. When they wake up, they would wake the other one. Did anyone else have their twins/multiples in different rooms? When were you able to put them back together?<br><br>
And for those that didn't ever seperate...how did you do that? Did they not wake each other up? Did you just get them both up if they both woke up?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Mine were separated from 4 months to 1 year and after that they could sleep through most of what thier sister was doing. I alternated who was in the room/bed with me depending on needs. They had pretty bad reflux that interfered with sleep, so I did whatever I could to help them get some sleep.<br><br>
At a year the reflux improved and so did the waking up, so they were together again.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
My kids woke eachother till they were about 3 yo. Every single time.<br><br>
I wish we could have had them in separate bedrooms as newborns, maybe it would have helped, I don't know. (Our house is so small you can hear a pin drop from another room anywhere in the house.) But we coselpt, because I found that was the only way to survive for me.<br><br>
Basically, with twins, you just do whatever works best at any given moment.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Mine have been in the same room from birth, they just didn't wake each other up. Or if they did, I just fed them both. Now they're almost 5yos and have a bunk bed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Right now we're living in a one room house (while we build another one). So everyone's in the same room. YIKES! Generally, my kids don't wake each other up--but each of them wakes me and my DH up. I never thought I'd be this sleep deprived at 2 years!<br><br>
When my twins were small we had a number of different sleeping arrangements--both with me, one with my DH and one with me, both in a crib, and finally one by himself in bed and one with my husband (I was so desperate for sleep I crashed in the living room). I did do one thing, right from the beginning, that may seem odd to others. If one boy woke up I woke the other and nursed him, too. I sat on the couch with my Easy-2-Nurse, and when we were done, my husband helped me move the boys to wherever they were sleeping at that time. Their day and night schedules synched up pretty well, and I got more sleep because of it. Sitting up to nurse can be hard and 3 a.m., however.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Right now we're living in a one room house (while we build another one). So everyone's in the same room. YIKES! Generally, my kids don't wake each other up--but each of them wakes me and my DH up. I never thought I'd be this sleep deprived at 2 years!<br><br>
When my twins were small we had a number of different sleeping arrangements--both with me, one with my DH and one with me, both in a crib, and finally one by himself in bed and one with my husband (I was so desperate for sleep I crashed in the living room). I did do one thing, right from the beginning, that may seem odd to others. If one boy woke up I woke the other and nursed him, too. I sat on the couch with my Easy-2-Nurse, and when we were done, my husband helped me move the boys to wherever they were sleeping at that time. Their day and night schedules synched up pretty well, and I got more sleep because of it. Sitting up to nurse can be hard at 3 a.m., however.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
My twins share my room with me & dh (and often times their 2 older sisters). So they've always slept together. They actually rarely wake each other up. I guess we've just been lucky. I do sleep btwn them so they don't whack into the other one. But didn't do that until they were about 8-9 months old. Up until that point they slept side-by-side, swaddled, with sleep positioners. I'd just move to whichever side had the baby needing to be nursed throughout the night.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Mine have always slept in the same room and sometimes did wake each other up when they were under a year. Now, it's strange, I can walk in and have the floor creak and they wake up but one of them can be screaming, talking, whatever and the other just sleeps through it.<br><br>
I still use a monitor and love hearing one trying to wake up the other in the morning. Or just hearing them talk before they fall asleep. I don't think they would sleep as well if they were separated.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Mine have always been in the same room, and dd3 went in the room also as soon as she was sleeping a little more consistantly. They didn't wake each other up. Now they sometimes wake each other up, but usually don't. For naps put them seperately though because they never napped at the same time and Rena was a horrible napper. I napped Nechama in my room and Rena in her room until Rivka came along, so when they were 17 months or so.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My boys napped in separate rooms when they were the same age as yours -- I'd put one down in the family bed and one in a crib in the nursery. (Our family bed is a king mattress on the floor.) At night, they'd start out separately while I got everything straightened out around the house, but then I'd bring the crib baby into the family bed with the rest of us for the night. When they were napping, I'd have two baby monitors going at once, playing completely different music. One baby liked Mozart, the other baby preferred Jewel! We got used to it, but visitors were always a little disturbed!<br><br>
But things changed right around 14 months. The one in the crib began to realize that he was sleeping alone and didn't like that AT ALL! One day, he just refused to sleep in the crib anymore. As soon as I'd try to put him down, he'd start crying. At first I thought he was teething or something, and we struggled for a few nights. Finally, I realized that was trying to tell me that he wanted to be in the "big bed" with his brother. And they've been napping in there together ever since!<br><br>
One of my boys is a good sleeper, the other wakes up every couple of hours or more. Always has. Sigh. Sometimes they wake each other up, sometimes not, but I'm so used to being woken up often, that it doesn't matter what caused it! As they get older it has become much, much easier to soothe them back to sleep. And DH is very helpful at nighttime wakings.<br><br>
I agree with the PP -- one of the cutest moments of my day is when the one who wakes up first in the morning sees the other one sleeping next to him — he smiles a huge smile and calls out his brother’s name, then crawls on him to wake him up. They are so happy to see each other after they've been sleeping!

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Mine have always shared a room, too.<br><br>
They did wake each other up. I didn't mind if they did. During the day, it basically kept them needing naps at roughly the same time and it gave me some baby free time when they were both sleeping, even if that was only 45 minutes. They took 45 minute naps until they were about a year old.<br><br>
At night, I just nursed them both if they both woke up at the same time.<br><br>
Once I night weaned them at about 22 months old, they started sleeping through each other's night wakings, I guess because it no longer meant their sister was getting milk.

·
Registered
879 Posts
My boys sleep in separate rooms for nap time but are together in the same crib at night. Daytime sleep must be much lighter b/c if they are near one another during naps, they wake up very quickly and easily, but at night not much gets them up.

·
Registered
971 Posts
the only time they were in separate rooms was for nap time between age -9 months, i really didnt want to risk one waking up the other, they didnt sleep as soundly during the day. it wasnt that way everyday but you just do what works for you that day. at night they didnt really wake eachother up but if they did at least you could nurse them both and in the end maybe you would get MORE sleep because they would be on the same schedule that night? I guess i worried that if they got used to sleeping separate that they wouldnt be able to sleep together later. But so much of it is survival at that age and you got to do what you got a do to get sleep yourself!! i wouldnt worry about it. if you have the room why not. everyonce in awhile put them together to see if they will sleep together. but by a year old i had them in the same room different cribs anyhow.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mine were separated at 5 months old because they would wake each other up. They are now 20 months.....I think I'm going to try and put them back together when they move into their big beds in a few months.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Mine slept in the same crib for 10 months and now in the same bedroom, but different cribs. I did it like that so they would both be on the same schedule. It made my days easier so that they would both sleep at the same time, etc. Just made it easier for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts