Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past week or so dd has been having major seperation issues. I work about three nights a week and she'snever had a problem with it. She has sometimes even pushed me out the door calling "I love you mama!" after me. Just recently though she's been having meltdowns every time I leave the house. Nothing really has changed in the house. She's with her dad while I'm gone so I don't have to worry about some sketchy babysitter. It breaks my heart though, she has a total meltdown. I had to pry her off of me last night on my way out the door and pd had to hold her and bring her in the bedroom.
I've tried talking to her throughout the day about the fact that I have to work and she seems fine untill it's actually time for me to go. Please tell me this is a phase. She's never had any sort of seperation problems so I think she's making up for lost time. What else can I do besides talking to her?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Fo my dd this is always a sign that a new developmental step is just around the corner. It usually last a few weeks and peaks with a few really rough days.

I try to go with it as much as possible - as much extra cuddle time as possible (even when she doesn't seem to need it
, skipping non-essential time by myself for a couple of days etc. I try to let her know that her needing me is ok - that I am doing my best to be with her and as hard as it feels I will be back soon.

We have a ritual for seperation anxiety days called "half-hug". We do a few huge cuddles then one 1/2 of a hug. We do the second half as soon as I get back.

The other thing I try to keep in mind is developmentally her seperation anxiety is a sign of strong attachment and good emotional health. Its important, and as much as I want to ease it and do my best to be gentle with her *she* needs to process her own feelings...

Good luck mama

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
My ds who is a month older than your dd went through a sudden separation anxiety phase last fall for no apparent reason. It lasted about 4 months. He was always strongly attached but I had been leaving him with dh for a couple of hours here and there to go shopping for over year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts