Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought that I would give this another try now that more of us are here consistently. Figured it might be an easier way to keep up than by all the threads.

So far, I am doing well, not too much morning sickness, just total exhaustion and food aversions. I have lost some weight, but not too much, so no worries there.

Question - For those of you with other kids, how are they handling your pg? Or do they even know that you are pg or understand it yet?

I am so glad to be nearing the end of the first tri. I had my first doctor's visit on Wed and everything looked great. I have an ultrasound on the 15th, so we get to see if the peanut is doing well.

Okay, gotta go deal with the kiddos. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'm doing okay, too. I don't have any real morning sickness, just occasional queasiness, mostly later in the day. And I'm really tired. So far, actually, my pregnancy is a lot like my first, which is making me a bit nervous because my first tri went great and then everything went downhill from there and I was mostly miserable the rest of the time.

Quote:
Question - For those of you with other kids, how are they handling your pg? Or do they even know that you are pg or understand it yet?
We've talked to dd (2.5) about it a bit, but she really doesn't get it. We haven't talked about it too much, though, because we don't want her telling anyone yet, and I know that she has no concept of "May."

I have an ultrasound this week, and am very anxious for it. I've been worrying a lot, so I think it will help me relax a bit.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i am up and down on the queasy part, some days I have sore boobs and that horrible "brick" feeling in my gut all day...other days I'm fine.

I am just entering 7 weeks now and will be calling to schedule my second appt. with the doctor very soon.

I haven't told my kids yet. I'm really nervous about telling them and then miscarrying (it's happened before) and I think I'm going to wait until I can bring home the ultrasound pictures to explain it to them. Nothing more concrete than to show them huh? This baby will also be their half-sibling, technically, but we aren't going to explain it that way. Just brother or sister will do.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
I'm feeling a little better now that I'm drinking protein shakes, but still pretty blech. I hate the feeling of being starving and also not wanting to eat anything. I'm just past 9 weeks, and am eagerly anticipating the end of the first trimester. Right now it's sometimes hard for me to remember, let alone enjoy, the fact that there is indeed a BABY growing inside of me
. I get so caught up in the day to day agonies ...

My mil is my savior ... she is here almost every day helping out with dd so I can rest and get more sleep. I simply don't know what I would do without her!

As for telling dd, she is 26 months, and although I've mentioned "baby" in front of her a few times, we have not specifically discussed it. I think kids are really smart and very intuitive, so I'm sure she knows something is going on, but I feel like it will be hard enough to explain I'm having a baby, let alone explaining a miscarriage. So I've decided to wait until the second trimester before having any serious conversations with her.

Well, dh and dd are gone for a few hours ... I'm going to crawl into bed and try to get some more sleep. I'm still struggling with insomnia off and on
:.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
My boys are almost 3 & 1. They know we're pregnant. DS2 of course doesn't know anything is different but DS1 who's BTDT is super excited. He's always kissing my belly and telling me we're having "two sisters".

I've been feeling so so for the past couple of days. Peeing a lot, lots of indigestion. I'll be really hungry, I'll eat and right after I'll feel yucky. I also have really bad insomnia which is unusual for me.

I'm eagerly awaiting trimester #2 along with the rest of you.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Welp, this will be my first, so no answer on how the other kiddos are taking it.

I'm about 7.5 weeks, and I'm nauseous from the moment I wake up until the moment I fall asleep (though I've had a couple lower-nausea moments in the last couple days; hope they increase).

Smells are driving me crazy, especially the smell of my house (and I work from home). I feel guilty for whining about my misery, knowing that other people have it so much worse, but wow-- I had no idea 1st tri was going to be so rough.

Luckily, I've been sleeping really well (10+ hours a night plus a nap most days). And dh has been really supportive with doing dishes, taking out trash, skipping social events, etc.

Counting down the days to the 2nd trimester, though!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. Overall, I feel like I'm doing pretty well. I am pleasantly shocked by how much easier this pregnancy is on me than dd's. I get the queasies if I go too long without eating, but it's not terrible (with dd, there were so many days in the early months where I wouldn't move from my bathroom all morning because I was so sick). I am incredibly exhausted from about 12:00-on, and dd rarely ever naps anymore so this has been very difficult for me. She's a pretty intense kid, so plopping her in front of the tv while i sack out for a while isn't really a great option.

I am also sleeping really poorly alot of nights, which isn't making the exhaustion much better! Waking around 3 to pee and then not able to go back to sleep.

I have become intensely adverse to garlic, which is a pretty big deal for me, as I use it in everything. Also I am sensitive to salt, which I was during my last pregnancy as well. I know you need it while you're pregnant, but some days it's pretty hard!

Dd knows about the baby and has good and bad days about it. She has a very limited sense of time so I think understanding the length of a pregnancy is hard for her. Some days she'll ask me 10 times if the baby will come out now. But mostly she just doesn't want to talk about it, and I'm trying to respect her space with that. Her birth was a pretty horrific experience for all of us, and she told me the other day that she doesn't like the baby in mommy's tummy because "having a baby means mommy not safe." I don't know if this is something she inadvertenly inferred from hearing her birth story or if this is left over from her own birth memory, but I am working hard to normalize the idea of birth and pregnancy for her--and me.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Molck View Post
I feel guilty for whining about my misery, knowing that other people have it so much worse, but wow-- I had no idea 1st tri was going to be so rough.
IKWYM about feeling guilty
. It could be a lot worse, but I still feel so crummy. I've been through this before, but I think it's hard to really remember how icky it is until you're in the throes of it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ally'smom View Post
Her birth was a pretty horrific experience for all of us, and she told me the other day that she doesn't like the baby in mommy's tummy because "having a baby means mommy not safe." I don't know if this is something she inadvertenly inferred from hearing her birth story or if this is left over from her own birth memory, but I am working hard to normalize the idea of birth and pregnancy for her--and me.
Oh mama, I'm so sorry to hear this
. I don't know the details of your story, but if you're interested, you can read here about the work I did with dd to help her heal from her birth trauma. I hope this pregnancy and birth are healing for you and your whole family

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'm doing alright today. This past week has been killer for me. The pukes started early last week and were just a morning thing. I could handle that. Well, by Thursday, they morphed into an "all day, I couldn't keep anything down for the life of me" thing. Friday was more of the same. I knew it was time to do something about it when my DD stood over the toilet Friday night before her tub pretending to puke saying, "Look! I'm like Mommy!"
: I had my MW paged yesterday and practically begged her for a Rx for Diclectin. I couldn't function like that much longer, esp. with 2 very active kids to care for. My MW wrote me a Rx and also OK'ed Gravol for me to take as needed. It has worked wonders! Today, I've been able to eat and keep stuff down. Plus I actually feel hungry! I don't like having to take meds but I've lost a total of 8lbs now and I really didn't want to go on like that, KWIM? Last night, I had a decent sleep -- first one in ages -- and I feel like a new woman today.

We haven't told the kids yet. DS we'll tell at the end of the first tri but he might pick up on it sooner, he's a pretty bright kid and we have mentioned the baby around him but not sure if he was listening or not. DD we'll tell at the same time but she has absolutely zero concept of time so I'm sure from the day we tell her until the day this babe arrives, she'll be asking, "Is baby going to come out yet?" every. single. day.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I have been more nausious and tired this week, and I bet it will get worse with week six coming up here. I went and got "gin gins" ginger candy which helped a lot my last pregnancy.

My kids don't know yet.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetcheeks View Post
Well, by Thursday, they morphed into an "all day, I couldn't keep anything down for the life of me" thing. Friday was more of the same. I knew it was time to do something about it when my DD stood over the toilet Friday night before her tub pretending to puke saying, "Look! I'm like Mommy!"
:
: I'm glad the meds are helping

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Our only "kid" is a one and a half year-old Labrador Retriever, and thus far, he's handling my pregnancy just fine.

Week 9 was a HUGE improvement over weeks 5-8. My nightly pukings (as soon as I'd lay down horizontal in bed, I'd have to run and vomit) have stopped, and I'm back to where I was, pre-vomiting... just getting a little queasy every once in a while, like if I let myself get too hungry. The nausea and vomiting have been comforting, though, in a weird way ("I'm still pregnant as long as my face is over this toilet bowl!"), so I'm adjusting to not having that obvious symptom. My ta-tas still ache, though.

I have a LITTLE more energy... I skipped my nap yesterday. Of course, skipping my nap meant I was falling asleep at 9:30, but I made it through a regular-length day without a nap! I'm a big girl now!

I'm a little worried, though. As of last week (when DH took our bathroom scale to school for his math class to use for something or another), I had lost six pounds since I learned I was pregnant. Now, at 5'11", six pounds isn't a huge deal... but I thought I was doing better than that, despite the nausea, vomiting, and general lack of interest in food. Oh well... in a few months I'll be wondering if the scale even GOES in a downard direction.

I have my first appointment on the 18th. We'll tell everyone at work the week before (DH wants to do it this week because he's "sick of sneaking around," but I'm not sure), since we'll have to take two days off to go into Anchorage for the appointment. I'll admit it... I'd rather wait until after the appointment and heartbeat-hearing to tell anyone at work... but that just can't happen in our situation.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Our oldest dd is ecstatic! Ds is not so much, which is weird because just a few months ago he was telling me he wanted another baby sister. Now he says he only wants a baby if it's a boy. He's four, so totally normal. Dd2 is pretty excited, too. SHe loves to talk to the baby, giving it hugs and kisses. She tells everyone she is going to be a big sister, just like Nana (her big sister Savanna). It's really cute.

I feel wonderful. I don't feel pregnant, I never do. I am really tired and weird things make me gag. My dad said he was making bbq sandwiches and I almost puked in his car. So far no actual puking though. My nipples are getting sensitive, but they don't hurt. Just feel really nice.
And of course, I'm really horny, my very first sign I'm pregnant each time.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
I'm a little worried, though. As of last week (when DH took our bathroom scale to school for his math class to use for something or another), I had lost six pounds since I learned I was pregnant. Now, at 5'11", six pounds isn't a huge deal... but I thought I was doing better than that, despite the nausea, vomiting, and general lack of interest in food.
I lost 5 lbs in the first trimester with dd, and went on to gain 65 lb
:. I wouldn't worry about a little weight loss in the beginning

Quote:

Originally Posted by seren View Post
And of course, I'm really horny, my very first sign I'm pregnant each time.

I was like this with dd, but sadly not this time. I miss it

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I am not horny either. My poor husband. I think we have done it like once in the past nine weeks. Hope that gets better.

So in an effort to learn a bit more about eachother, here is some info about me. I am in Arizona, work full time. My kids are Emily who is 5, full of drama and started kindergarten this fall. William is our youngest right now, at nearly 3. He is a New Year's baby, born on Jan 1. He has had a hard life, but is doing well now. He has congenital heart defects and had surgery when he was 3 months old.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I finally starting to feel a bit better I think it is the red raspberry leaf tea.

We live in NE Ohio, I homeschool the kiddos. DD has down syndrome and has had two open heart surgeries so far, keeping our fingers crossed she won't need any more.

I am bummed today because the diapers I ordered over 2 weeks ago for DD aren't coming until wed and they should have been here today. We are washing every day and a half - it is making me nuts.

And my father in Arizona is dieing from cancer. He has just taken a turn for the worse and I am not dealing so great.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrfath View Post
And my father in Arizona is dieing from cancer. He has just taken a turn for the worse and I am not dealing so great.
I am so sorry to hear that, Christi. My dad passed away after a brief battle w/cancer a few weeks before we found we were expecting DS. It was *so* hard on me, as Dad and I were really close. My pregnancy was a bit bittersweet . . . we were celebrating a new life joining us but at the same time I was devastated my kids would never get the chance to know their grandpa. I'll be keeping you, your dad and the rest of your family in my thoughts. If you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me.

to you, mama.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm at W7D3, and feeling awful. I spent a few hours yesterday in the ER getting IV fluids because I've been so dehydrated. When I walked in to the ER, my blood pressure was 100/64. Two bags of fluid and IV Zofran later, it was 99/60. Go figure. Today is my first dr appt.

Krista was the very first person we told that we were pregnant, and we told her about 2 minutes after we saw the lines on the test. She had been praying for a baby brother or sister for a couple of months, so she is SOOO excited about it. She loves looking at my tummy and telling me I'm getting fatter just to get a rise out of me. (I throw a mock fit every time, since I'm not showing yet) We've told her we should know if its a boy or a girl just before Christmas, and that the baby will be born just after she turns 5, so she has those dates to think about and it's not just "Why isn't the baby here YET???"

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
HI gals! I enjoyed reading your updates. Is anyone else really excited to see the June DDC pop up soon? I will be ...

Anyway, I'm feeling about the same: nauseous as all get-out in the morning, ravenous by lunch, ravenous by dinner, but only a handful of (generally junky) foods sound appealing. I am snacking on healthy foods and drinking as much water as I can stomach, but that is very hard. The good (?) thing is I have no taste whatsoever for sweets: chocolate, candy or ice cream. With my first pregnancy, I was all about ice cream. I believe I had one bowl per day for 9 months. !

Other than the nausea I'm feeling great. No exhaustion at all, which is nice.

I have a 17 month old, and we've started talking a lot about babies with him. I bought him a baby doll and stroller and he loves her. He gives Baby hugs and kisses and puts her 'night-night'. Sometimes he hits Baby or throws her on the ground. Ah well.

DH and I agreed this time we are going to not find out the sex ahead of time. I'm very excited about this!

We still have not yet told our families (I'm about 9 weeks along). Debating whether to do that next weekend or the following. Part of me is just bursting to tell our news to them. Part of me dreads my ILs' reactions.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.