Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to treat myself to a tax return present and finally bought a serger, but I have no idea how to use it, lol! I'm slowing figuring stuff out (it came with a video, but its a VHS and I only have a DVD player, grr!) I have a few questions, though:<br><br>
1. What is wooly nylon; what's it used for; how do you use it (all 3 or 4 threads or just one or two)?<br><br>
2. Is it better to use 3 or 4 threads when serging soakers; body layers?<br><br>
3. Is there some trick or secret to getting nice looking (squared) corners or does it just come with practice?<br><br>
4. Are there any good, basic, serging for dummy books out there (really, I need it broken down to like kindergarden level)?<br><br>
So far I been doing a lot of practice scraps and even tried a few soakers. It's kind of scary, but hopefully I'll get it figured out with practice. TIA for any suggestions!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
1. Wooly nylon is a kind of stretchy & fuzzy thread that gives a fuller appearance to serging. I like it for diapers. I use Maxilock (regular serger thread) in my needle(s) and wooly in the loopers. You can thread the loopers with regular thread, tie on the wooly, and just pull it through.<br>
2. I usually use 3 threads for my diaper making.<br>
3. For perfectly squared corners you serge right off of the end of the fabric, then do the next edge - right off the edge, then begin down the side of the diaper.<br>
4. I think I have a book somewhere, but I'm not sure. I think you'd do well to go to the library or look for online tutorials. It's not bad once you get the hang of it. I make just about everything with the serger because it's so much faster. And for kids clothes, I like to use 4 needles for extra seam securance. (I don't think that's a word).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got<br><br>
"The Complete Serger Handbook" by Chris James<br><br>
at the library and found it very useful. It helped me get my serger running when I didn't even have the manual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts