Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... so I'm posting on behalf of a friend whose baby (7 mo) has had an ear infection for the last month. He's been on antibiotics and they switched to something more powerful... Apparently he's just not getting better. The mom said she had tubes put in when she was little, and that one doctor they have seen said based on the way the baby's head is shaped he'll keep getting them in his right ear. This mom has been told by current ped to keep giving motrin and tylenol rotation and even robitussin(?) if my memory serves me correct.<br><br>
Here's what I want to know:<br>
What else have you done for your baby who has that bad of an ear infection for this long?<br><br>
When would you consider getting tubes for your child?

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
<a href="http://mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=406779" target="_blank">http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=406779</a><br><br>
I wouldn't have done abx for ear infection and no I would not get tubes. But some others will.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Sorry don't have any links for you, but I've read that recurrent ear infections in babies are often related to food sensitivities (especially to dairy).

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
When my ds was a babe, he had 5 back to back double ear infections. We would do the antibiotics and within a week of completing treatment, they would be back. I finally smartened up and said "no, I don't want to do antibiotics this time." The doc kinda rolled her eyes. The ENT wanted to do tubes. Anyway, I went to a homeopath and that was that. The ENT said whatever you are doing keep it up. He never had another ear infection again.<br><br>
Now, I did try the garlic oil but never knew if it was doing anything. My baby was so young. Later, my older dd got an ear infection. I treated it with the garlic/mullin (sp) drops from the health food store and she said it felt better. So with her I was able to get a verbal response to how effective it was.<br><br>
Good for you for looking out for your friend. Is your friend accepting your help? I have a neighbor friend who's son always has ear infections. I mean, always. I think he's had tubes but still continues to get them. No telling how many times he's been on antibiotics. Probably every other week?? He's 2. I have mentioned before we cured my son's ear infections with homeopathy. She's just not interested in anything other than what the doc says. Oh well!<br><br>
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
well my kids ahve never had an ear infection last that long (about 2-3 days max) and they have only had a couple in their lifetimes. I use grapefruit seed extract and homeopathic remedies (I see a homeopath) for pain and infection. it always clears up quick.good luck. (P.S. I don't know if I believe in the whole tube in the ear thing. seems that ear infections can be prevented or healed by natural remedies,at least in my case they always have,perhaps there are children who are predisposed to ear infections-don't know??)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing all this information. This friend of mine is open to hearing what I have to say, although there's no telling what or if she's end up doing. She seems to think that since she had tubes and that one doctor commented that her son will likely always get ear infections on the right side, and apparently he has had a few... so I think she's not ruling tubes out maybe a "well since I had to have them, then he will too" kind of thing. But in all honestly I do give her tons of credit, it's not like I'm saying she hasn't done her homework and all. She mentioned their insurance changed to high deductible... so it makes sense in MY mind to seek out alternative kinds of treatment, like chiropractor, homeopathy etc.<br><br>
It is interesting to note that even with tubes a child can still get an infection.<br><br>
Peace-<br>
Heidi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts