Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD has been trying to get her molars (all 4) in for almost 3 months now and I am not exaggerating! They break through then they disappear back down into her gums. This has happened a few times that I know of, she hates me checking so I don't do it often. She has always teethed a month before getting her teeth in, always 2 or more at a time. So long bouts of teething is nothing new to us. Normally it is nothing that her Amber necklace and Hylands teething tablets cant handle. Well, this time it is totally different. Things are really bad here and have been getting worse for the past week. I need some advice, help, something...

We never take her teething necklace off, I have put a second one around her wrist, doing the teething tablets, she doesn't like to chew on anything cold and I have even resorted to Motrin and Orajel.
: None of it is working, I am sure it has to be helping a little but not a noticeable amount. She is having a hard time sleep (naps and night) she wakes up screaming and is inconsolable for about 20 minutes (this part is the roughest, I have never seen her like this- its really scary for me), she cries for the majority of the day and she is really aggressive (hitting and scratching).

I just don't know what to do. I have done everything I can think of and my poor baby is still in some serious pain. I hate using the Motrin, she hates the orajel, my faithful teething necklace(s) are failing me now and so are the teething tablets.
Her poor little molars are so swollen, they look like marbles under her gums and on some days I can see what looks like fluid filled blister on top of them. I honesty don't know what else to do. I try to nurse her a lot but she just isn't having any of that either, I am struggling here.

I read in a post a while back (I think it was here) about an oil or homeopathic product that you rub in the gums that helps with the pain and tightens then gums so the teeth pop through faster. Does anyone know about this? I am also thinking about getting some clove oil today and see if that helps out any. Any suggestions are welcomed. Please, please, please help us.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
:

My 3-mo-old is already teething, and pretty bad too. We've done the homeopathic teething tablets, orajel (only when it gets *really* bad, b/c she screams bloody murder), and teething rings. Problem w/the teething rings is she doesn't quite have her hands very coordinated yet, so she can't hold on to them for too long. I basically have to hold it in her mouth for her a lot, and pacifiers don't help a lot b/c they aren't very thick/tough. Last night was horrendous... she was screaming and waking up constantly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The only thing that comes to my mind is massage. I sometimes massage Wee One's gum line, especially up the ears; that seems to do the trick sometimes. Other times I massage her legs and that seems to help. It seems that for her, the teething coincides with growth spurts on occasion, and the massage really seems to help that.

I'm so sorry your family is going through this. Wouldn't it be nice if there were an easier way to get through teething?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I understand you don't want to use "medications" but if you do choose that route tylenol seems to work better than Motrin. I don't know why.
My LO likes to chew on a wet washcloth. We haven't done the molars yet.
My heart goes out to you~nothing is worse than when our LOs hurt.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Gummomile (is that the brand name? I'm not sure so please forgive me if I misspelled), or clove oil diluted with some other neutral oil.

I've also had great luck with straight up organic lavender and chamomile tea. I make it weak and give DS 2 or 3 tsp. at a time every 2 hours. It really helps, and helps settle his wee tummy when he gets sick from swallowing too much drool.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I only ask because I also have a 3mo who is going through *something* I know not what, but he is drooling a lot...

How do you know it's teething? Do they really start teething this early?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Babies most definitely can teeth at 3 months. My boy did, though it didn't pop out until 5.5 months. I've actually heard of cases where babies have gotten teeth as early as 1 month old, poor things.

For the molar teething, you might try giving baby jerky to chew on. I've heard it works well for getting teeth through a little faster and easier.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts