Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who does this...
I am battling summer odor issues over here.
I think I want a poo pail and a non-poo pail. Should I make the poo pail a wet pail and the other dry? Should I keep the wet one in the bathroom and the dry next to the changing table?
I'd still like to wash every third day or so, but right now I'm washing every day to prevent odors.

What worked for you?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I have a bucket in the bathroom (one of the home depot paint style buckets with a lid, so it's baby-proof
) I put the poopy ones in there with just plain water and a few shakes of baking soda. I usually wash every other day, so they don't sit in there very long. The peed-in diapers go in the dry pail.
So far it's working well. I have less trouble with staining than I did before I started this method

·
Registered
511 Posts
With my first I did a covered wet bucket in the bathroom and a dry pail next to the changing table. With my second I have the wet bucket in the utility sink next to my washer. It means going down to the basement when Astrid has a poopy diaper but she generally doesn't poop more that once or twice a day so it's no big deal. If there are any odors (it's rare for me but it ocassionally happens) they stay in the basement where our noses don't go all that often.

As for a soaking solution, I use any number of things ranging from plain water to water with a little bit of Oxiclean if I have a very stained diaper. I've also added vinegar and/or a very small amount of detergent to my soak water.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ladies!
That's what I was hoping would work. I will definitely try that HD paint pail. Good idea!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Do you wash the solids off dipes before they go in the pail? I find that diaper ducks work wonders - we're in the 80-90's here and our pail doesn't smell - we wash every 3-4 days.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
A spray of Bac Out in the bucket in the bathroom (with a gate blocking off the bathroom with the pail, laundry area and dungeon (dh's work space and the jail for unsafe for baby items). The Diaper Champ seems to fill every other day so its wash day.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm using a handy spray (a mini shower like contraption) and I see no need for 2 pails with it. It literally sprays every last bit of poo off of the diapers and into the toilet so the diaper is poo free before I put it in my MOE hanging bag with all of the other diapers. I haven't noticed any bad stink with this method. The only thing I have noticed is an ammonia smell from the pee if they sit for awhile. But that's totally non-offensive to me compared to a poo smell.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya know, I have been considering a sprayer of some kind, but I am completely grossed out by the idea of splattering and spattering all over my toilet and bathroom as I spray each diaper.

I do peel/dump/wipe off the solids every time, but do not have a sprayer. It always seemed to me that when I had a poo diaper that was rinsed/dunked, it then sat all wet in the dry pail and actually made odors worse than if the poo-removed but dry diaper sat in the pail. KWIM? A damp cloth with bacteria on it seems like a prime breeding ground for more bacteria to me.
That's why I have thus far been a non-dunker.

Eric, I will check out the diaper duck. I remember the name but I don't remember what it is....
Eric, did you get my email about your diapers? If not, the basic idea was that I love them

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Having a small bucket with a lid next to the toilet for just-sprayed-off-poo-diapers is a great idea. Then a regular pail for all the pee diapers. Give it a try!

ETA: Ok now I see that you don't spray, don't want to, and want to wash every 3 days. I'm not much help, I'm a strong believer in running a diaper wash daily to keep things fresh and non-stained.
But if you did have wet diapers that had been rinsed off whatever way in your smaller bucket in the bathroom, perhaps just sprinkle a few drops of TTO, baking soda, etc to keep it sanitized and non-smelly?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeshaLynn
I'm using a handy spray (a mini shower like contraption) and I see no need for 2 pails with it.
Here's my reason. When I spray or rinse a diaper and throw it into my dry pail, I get mold all over my diapers. This is irregardless of where the dry pail sits, basement or bedroom. I usually do laundry every 3-4 days which is longer than most but I've experienced mold spots within 24 hours. Throwing the sprayed diapers in a wet bucket prevents all this.

As far as spraying goes, my DH rigged up what I call the "Poop Blaster" in my utility sink. It's a short length of hose (a washing machine hose works perfectly) with a run of the mill garden hose attachment at the end. Whatever I can shake off into the toilet I do. The rest gets sprayed off in the utility sink which is deep and contains splatter. When Astrid was strictly breastfed, I simply sprayed without shaking.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
2 heavy wetting sons and 2 pails. I used one for the peed dipes and a dry pail and the other for soiled dipes and sometime I would do alittle soaking and washing soda/or soda for odor. I washed everyother day, pails remained in the basement laundry room which has a toilet and shower in it making it convenient for soiling removal.

It is a pain to take them downstairs at times but it kept the odor in an isolated area conveniently next to washing facilities & bathroom facilities and kept me running off the baby weight

·
Registered
619 Posts
I would try the handy spray. I've heard of the mini shower having massive water pressure and spraying poo and water everywhere. But my hand spray actually has just the right amount of pressure where it gets the poo off but doesn't splatter anything anywhere. There's literally no mess at all. Maybe it's just my water saving toilet... I don't know. But it works like a dream.

www.handyspray.com

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I just recently switched to a wet pail and dry pail. I was doing 2 dry pails -- one for poop one for pee. I decided I liked keeping both in the boy's bathroom so there wasn't any pee/poo smell in their rooms. I always rinse with the mini-shower...which makes the bottom of the poo pail fill with a little water...so now I just spray with the mini-shower, then put the diaper in the pail, then spray with more water from the mini-shower. I noticed the diapers smell cleaner quicker...and the bathroom doesn't stink anymore.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeshaLynn
I would try the handy spray. I've heard of the mini shower having massive water pressure and spraying poo and water everywhere. But my hand spray actually has just the right amount of pressure where it gets the poo off but doesn't splatter anything anywhere. There's literally no mess at all. Maybe it's just my water saving toilet... I don't know. But it works like a dream.

www.handyspray.com
Very cool! I honestly didn't know that they were two different things. I may have to post another thread to see if others prefer the handy spray over the other....interesting.

Thanks fo all of the ideas!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts